A research area within the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies
Language variation research
Our language variation research focuses on:
- Sociophonetic variation in production
- The effects of sociophonetic variation on speech processing
- The influence of discourse context on sound patterns
- The acquisition of bi-dialectalism
- The development of sociolinguistic awareness
We are active members of the Language at Leeds research hub, and in particular of the following Language at Leeds research satellites: the Centre for Language and Nature; Arabic Language.
Our research facilities are situated in the Human Communications Lab.
Language at Leeds
Language at Leeds brings together professionals within the University involved in the study of language, connecting individuals and groups to support research across various disciplines. The central tenet of the centre is an interdisciplinary approach to addressing and understanding issues relating to language, linguistics and communication.