In all areas, Italian culture is studied in its specificity but also more broadly in comparative and transnational perspective.
Impact and engagement
Our research feeds into the work of – and benefits from the collaboration with – Leeds-based, national and international partners: theatres, cinemas and film festivals, and cultural operators such as artists, film-makers, writers, translators, literary agents, publishers,
We also work with schools in the UK and abroad.
Medieval and Renaissance Studies:
Modern and Contemporary Italy:
We host the Leeds Centre for Dante Studies, the series of outward-facing initiatives LivItaly: bringing Italian culture to Yorkshire and ItaLeeds: Researching Italy from Leeds (run by postgraduate researchers in Italian).
Recent research projects developed in Italian studies at Leeds include:
- Dante and Late Medieval Florence
- Family Sagas in World Literatures and Audio-Visual Cultures
- Italian Cinemas / Italian Histories
- Multilingualism and the Novel
- Petrarch Commentary and Exegesis in Renaissance Italy, c. 1350-c. 1650
- The Woman Reader Project.
We also contribute actively to the activities of the school research centres, and especially of: