Speech production and perception
A research area within the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies
Speech production and perception research
Our speech production and perception research focuses on the following themes:
- Consonant articulation (especially in Arabic and Modern South Arabian)
- Consonant clusters and vowel epenthesis
- Speech tempo
- Phonetic reduction patterns
- Phonation and glottal states
- Sociophonetic variation in production and perception
- L2 and bilingual speech production and perception
We are active members of the Language at Leeds research hub.
Our research facilities are located in the Human Communications Lab.
Language at Leeds
Language at Leeds brings together professionals within the University involved in the study of language, connecting individuals and groups to support research across various disciplines. The central tenet of the centre is an interdisciplinary approach to addressing and understanding issues relating to language, linguistics and communication.