Dr Gisela Tomé Lourido
- Position: Lecturer in Sociophonetics
- Areas of expertise: sociophonetics; bilingualism; speech perception; L2 speech learning; acquisition of sociophonetic variation; Galician phonetics
- Email: G.TomeLourido@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3222
- Location: B14 Michael Sadler Building
- Website: Gise's personal website | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the Universtiy of Leeds in 2017 after completing an MA in Phonetics and a PhD in Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences at University College London (UCL). Before specialising in Phonetics I obtained an undergraduate degree in English Studies (Filoloxía Inglesa) and an MA in Education (Mestrado Universitario de Profesorado) at Universidade da Coruña, in Galicia.
My research interests are in accent variation in speech perception and production in bilingual and monolingual populations. I have mainly worked on Galician and English.
My current research uses eye-tracking and other behavioural methods to investigate how accent variation affects speech processing. I am part of the Embracing Linguistic Diversity satellite, a working group developing a series of initiatives to celebrate linguistic diversity and minimise language-based prejudices and disadvantages, starting from our University context.
I welcome PhD applications on the role of accent variation in speech processing and Galician speech production and perception.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
I teach modules in phonetics and sociophonetics on our undergraduate and MA programmes.
Research groups and institutes
- Formal Linguistics
- Language acquisition
- Language processing
- Language variation
- Speech production and perception
- Centre for Endangered Languages, Cultures and Ecosystems