Dr Milena Marinkova
- Position: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- Areas of expertise: inclusive academic practices; creativity in EAP; cultural / linguistic diversity in (language) teaching; affect, experientiality and pedagogy; blended learning and assessment.
- Email: M.D.Marinkova@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4526
- Location: 3.08 Parkinson
- Website: | LinkedIn | Researchgate
I joined the University of Leeds in 2016, teaching on a wide range of General English and English for Academic Purposes courses at the Foundation, Undergraduate, pre-Masters/pre-PhD and Postgraduate levels. Prior to this, I had an extensive career in the public and private education sectors in the UK and aborad, teaching English as a foreign language (Bulgaria); literature and cultural studies (Leeds, Birmingham, Derby, Teesside, Huddersfield); academic skills (Leeds, LJMU); and English for Academic Purposes (Hull, UCLAN, LJMU, NTIC).
- Module leader for Language through Literature and Place: Reading Yorkshire (ELU2006)
- Module co-lead for Language for Education (ELU3011)
In my research and scholarship to date, I have investigated the role of multidimensional/multimodal writing in the representation of different identity positions in literary, media and other cultural texts. More specific to EAP, I am particularly interested in examining how diverse cultural positionalities are performed in teaching, enabled in different teaching and learning contexts, and rhetorically expressed in a range of genres studied or taught in academia. In this sense, I have an ongoing interest in exploring the place of interculturality, creativity and inclusivity in academic practices, e.g., curriculum and assessment design, delivery and student support.
Current scholarship projects:
- Assessing the impact of online rubrics for feedback and assessment (LITE funded).
- Creative inquiry in EAP.
- The place of linguistic and cultural diversity in teaching.
- Fellow HEA
- Fellow BALEAP
- PhD English (Leeds)
- MA, BA English Philology and Broadcast Journalism (Sofia)
- Modern Languages Association (MLA)
- British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP)
I teach English for Academic Purposes to undergraduate and postgraduate students at the Faculties of Arts, Humanities and Cultures, and Social Sciences:
- literature and intercultural communication modules;
- content-based summer pre-sessional and in-sessional provision for students at the School of Education.
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre
- Language at Leeds