Dr Rasha Soliman
- Position: Lecturer in Arabic
- Areas of expertise: Teaching Arabic as a Second Language; Applied Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Curriculum Design; Language learning needs & attitudes; Arabic Teacher Training; Dialectology & Mutual Intelligibility.
- Email: R.K.Soliman@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 4.04a Michael Sadler Building
- Website: Academia.edu | Twitter | LinkedIn
Teaching Arabic as a Second Language has been my career since 1995. I started teaching Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic in Cairo before I decided in 2001 to pursue an MA in Applied Linguistics at the University of Southern Queensland in Australia. In 2004, I moved to the UK and took an Arabic teaching post at the University of Manchester. In January 2015, I completed my PhD study in Arabic Applied Linguistics. My research focused on the mutual intelligibility between native speakers of different Arabic dialects. It also focused on how to incorporate Arabic language variation in the classroom. In September, 2015, I joined the University of Leeds as a Teaching Fellow in Arabic Language then as a Lecturer in Arabic Language since September, 2017.
- UG admissions and recruitment tutor for AIMES
- Access-to-Leeds Tutor for AIMES
- Study-abroad & ERASMUS Tutor for AIMES
Arabic Applied Linguistics with a focus on:
- Arabic Language Variation
- Teaching Arabic as a Second Language
- Arabic Language Learning Needs & Attitudes
- Arabic Language Mutual Intelligibility
- PhD in Arabic Applied Linguistics - University of Leeds
- MA in Applied Linguistics - University of Southern Queensland - Australia
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Second Language Teaching - University of Southern Queensland
- BAAL - British Association for Applied Linguistics
- LAGB - Linguistics Association of Great Britain
- AULC - Association of University Language Centres
- UCML - University Council of Modern Languages
I convene and teach Level 1 Arabic Language modules.
Research groups and institutes