Study abroad

Kelsey French, Germany

All of our BA German students spend their third year abroad either studying at a partner institution or gaining practical work experience

You'll discover a new culture, develop your knowledge and skills, improve your German language skills, and make yourself stand out from your peers in the job market.

If you are studying German with another language, you might spend a term abroad in Germany at the end of your second year at Leeds, and take your year abroad in a country where your other language is spoken. In some cases, you may be able to decide where you will spend your year and term abroad. 

How we support you

In your first and second year you’ll be able to network with returning students for first-hand advice about living abroad, have meetings with the residence abroad tutor and have access to online information before you relocate.

We’ll be in touch with you during your year abroad and you’ll have support at your host university too.

On your return, we’ll ask you to share your experiences and make the most of your new and improved skills and experience. 

Year abroad

You can study at one of our partner universities in Germany, Switzerland or Austria. You'll study the equivalent of your course and can also take 'German as a foreign language' courses for learners of German. 

Example partner universities include:

  • Universität Dortmund
  • Universität Heidelberg
  • Universität Leipzig
  • Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
  • Universität Tübingen
  • Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München.

Term abroad

If you study for a term, you will take an intensive language course that is specially designed for non-native speakers of German.