Fusão is a programme of public academic and cultural events coordinated by Portuguese at the University of Leeds, which aims to showcase the culture of the Portuguese-speaking world in Leeds and the North of England.
Fusão hosts a rich and varied programme of annual events including talks, Q&As, film screenings and public lectures which explore the history, society and cultural production of Portuguese-speaking countries.
Since its launch in Leeds in 2013, the network has welcomed academics and artists from across the UK and Europe who have spoken on topics ranging from protest songs in Portugal, to the representation of the Lusophone world on film, and public demonstrations in contemporary Brazil.
Fusão's events are organised and supported by a dedicated team based in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies (SPLAS) at the University of Leeds, who pursue a variety of research projects and activities related to Portuguese-speaking countries and communities:
For more information about Fusão and our events and activities, please contact Sofia Martinho
- Symposium: 'Ecocriticism in Times of Crisis: Nature, Capital and Culture in the Hispanic and Lusophone Worlds'. 16-17 June 2016
- Launch of the novel "Preia-Mar" by the Goan writer Epitácio Pais with introduction by the editors, Paul Castro (Leeds) and Helder Garmes (USP, Brazil) - 18 May 2016
- Screening of the Brazilian documentary short "Babás" (Consuelo Lins, 2010), introduced by Dr Rachel Randall, and followed by the awarding ceremony of the 2016 winner of the Portuguese short-story competition. 27 April 2016
- UG Portuguese Studies Showcase evening with a book launch and two research presentations:
Book Launch: A Menina do Fato Amarelo (Chiado Editora, Lisbon), by Ramona Tudosa (Level 3 UG student)
‘Bringing FLIP to the UK: A case study of the marketing of Latin America at FlipSide Festival’, by Anna Silovsky (Level 3 UG student)
“O impacto da Copa do Mundo no Brasil”, by Sean Callaghan (Level 3 UG student), 20 April 2016
- 'Manifesting Democracy? Politics and the Political in post-2013 Brazil', Dr Maite Conde (University of Cambridge). Talk and Wine Reception, 09 December 2015
- 'A Lusophone World? Língua: Vidas em Português', Dr Paul Melo e Castro (University of Leeds). Talk and Wine Reception, 01 October 2015
- 'Cultivating a Revolution, Documenting a Revolution, Seeking a New Revolution: Chronicles of the 25th April Forty Years Later', Dr David Frier (University of Leeds). Talk and Wine Reception, 21 January 2015
- 'Intervention Songs and Estado Novo: Reckoning', Dr Maria de São José (FCSH/NOVA University). Talk, 26 November 2014
- Festa Fusão with Special Guest: Film Director Charlie Inman. Annual Party and Talk followed by a Film Screening at Leeds International Film Festival, 06 November 2014
- 'Big Short-Films: Portuguese Cinema Today', José António Cunha (European University). Talk, 05 November 2014
- 'The Two Marias Plus One: Feminism and Difference in New Portuguese Letters and Beyond', Professor Hilary Owen (University of Manchester). Talk, 08 October 2014
- 'Para quem ver? Brazil on Screen at Home and Abroad', Dr Stephanie Dennison (University of Leeds). Talk, 29 January 2014
- 'The National Stadium in Lisbon: The Problem Child of Salazar's 1940s Monumental Construction Programme', Dr David Frier (University of Leeds). Talk, 04 December 2013
- 'Futurist Bodies: Álvaro de Campos and Friends' (in celebration of Fernando Pessoa's 125th birthday), Dr Rhian Atkin (University of Bristol). Talk and Poetry Reading, 28 November 2013
- Launch of Fusão, with a Public Lecture: 'Brazil Without Borders: Brasil Sem Fronteiras'. Professor Lúcia Sá (University of Manchester). Talk and Reception, 17 October 2013