Our research degrees equip you with not only in-depth knowledge of your chosen subject area, but also transferable skills that will be invaluable whatever your future career.
As you progress through your studies, you'll become adept at project management, verbal and written communication, critical thinking, and processing large quantities of complex information.
You'll also have access to a range of training and development opportunities that will both support your studies and enhance your employability, allowing you to get the most out of your time at Leeds.
There are many opportunities within our School to gain valuable skills and experience. Each year you can apply for a £300 grant to support research activities such as attending conferences or visiting specialist archives.
You can teach our undergraduate students, allowing you to share your knowledge while learning how to instruct, inspire and coordinate a group.
You can further strengthen your communication skills by presenting your work at the monthly student-led English Postgraduate Seminar, or practise your teamwork by helping to organise it.
You'll also have the chance to support your fellow postgraduate researchers and create positive change by acting as a Student Representative for our School.
The University of Leeds is very highly regarded both in the UK and abroad. Whether you decide to pursue a career in academia or another sector, you'll have access to a wide range of development opportunities including:
- Mock interviews, CV workshops and more with the Careers Centre
- Support for start-ups and social enterprises with Student Enterprise
- Jobs, volunteering and skills development with Leeds University Union
- Academic skills workshops, events and resources with Researcher@Library
- Events, support, and presentation opportunities with Leeds Doctoral College
- Courses, workshops, and mentoring with Organisational Development and Professional Learning
- Creative professional collaborations with Leeds Creative Labs
- Training, funding, and collaborations with the White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities
- Short-term Postdoctoral Fellowships with the Leeds Humanities Research Institute