Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies is a vibrant and research-active multidisciplinary unit within the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies. We host the distinguished Iqbal Centre, which organises public lectures and runs initiatives to support researchers across the University working on Islam.
Our supervision is delivered by academics who are at the cutting-edge of research in their field and engaged in a wide range of research projects across the disciplines of Middle Eastern Studies and History, Islamic Studies, Arabic Linguistics and Translation Studies.
We offer supervision in a range of areas, including:
- Arabic language and linguistics
- Teaching of Arabic
- Arabic-English and English-Arabic translation
- Arab literature (both classical and modern)
- Arab media
- Qur'anic Studies
- Muslim Intellectual History
- Islamic legal studies
- Islamic Theology
- Hadith Studies
- Gender Studies
- Middle Eastern and North African history, politics and international relations