You will graduate with the knowledge, skills, and experience to access a wide range of job opportunities. Many of our graduates go on to use their translation, subtitling, and interpreting expertise in large organisations, within their own language service providers, or as freelancers around the world.
We are also in regular contact with translation companies and organisations with translation departments, providing you with the latest vacancies and internship opportunities.
According to our latest data, within six months of their graduation, 85% of our students were already employed at a wide range of companies and organisations in roles such as Subtitler, Interpreter, In-house respeaker, Translator, Terminologist, Reviser, Reviewer, Editor / Copywriter, Project Manager, and numerous other roles using the transferable skills learnt in the Centre for Translation Studies.
Career destinations for our alumni include:
• United Nations, World Health Organization (WHO), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
• European Parliament, European Commission, European Court of Justice, European Central Bank
• Banks and financial organisations
• Language Service Providers and private firms
• Communications and media organisations
Our strong industry links are one of the many reasons why our graduates are highly sought after by employers. Working with language service providers and international organisations, we ensure that our courses are industry-oriented and supported with the latest resources.
You will benefit from:
• Long-established links with UN and EU organisations, and other international organisations
• Long-established links with big companies in the Audiovisual Translation market both in the UK and internationally
• All tutors being well-established professionals and / or researchers in their field
• Professionalisation Talks, where industry experts deliver insights and employability advice
• The university’s prestigious membership of The White Rose University Consortium
• Our membership of the international academy association of translation and interpretation institutes (CIUTI), the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), and the Yorkshire Translators and Interpreters (YTI) network
• Free access to the Trados Studio and Multiterm Certification exams, the Intersteno-ECQA exams for live subtitlers, as well as the Memsource Student Certification Programme
An industry-oriented Master's degree will help you stand out in today’s competitive job market, and our bespoke Personal Tutoring arrangements enhance your preparation for the world of work even further.
Our award-winning Careers Centre is available to support you from day one, offering a variety of support including:
• Career guidance appointments
• Support with your CV
• Interview advice and practice
• Careers fairs and employer presentations
• Access to a vacancy database advertising local, national, and global vacancies
You will also have access to the Leeds Network — an online careers networking tool where you can find out about opportunities from our alumni across the globe.