Your degree and the wider experience you’ll gain while you’re studying here can help you stand out from the crowd in an increasingly competitive job market.
A degree in music gives you the skills needed for a natural pathway to a career in the music industry, but you'll also develop skills that will be valued by potential employers in other fields such as business and law.
You'll develop independent thinking, and a range of analytical and communication skills that are highly valued in the professional world you'll enter after university. Our recent graduates are working with:
- Warner Music
- Opera North
- The Hallé Orchestra
- 3x Grammy Award® winners Snarky Puppy
- Manchester United Football Club
As part of your studies you'll have access to many opportunities to help with your career prospects including a range of industry talks, networking events and placement opportunities.
You can also support your fellow students as a Peer Mentor or represent them at course or school level by acting as a student representative or sitting on the student-staff forum.
Employability mentoring scheme
This scheme links up professionals from music-related industries, who are alumni of the School, to act as mentors for current undergraduates. The scheme provides students with the opportunity to enhance their employability, expand their professional networks and increase their confidence.
There is a huge variety of careers support available across the University including opportunities to:
- experience what it’s like to work in industry for a year by undertaking an industrial placement
- experience life in another culture by choosing the option to study abroad in your third year
- develop entrepreneurial skills or start your own business with help from our Enterprise Centre and SPARK Business Start-up service
- take part in over 300 student-led clubs and societies, where you can develop valuable skills and broaden your life experience.