Professor Binhua Wang
I am Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies in the Centre of Translation Studies, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at University of Leeds. Previously I was associate professor at the University of Leeds, assistant professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and associate professor and head of Department of Interpreting at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. I have a PhD in interpreting and translation studies and did post-doctoral research sponsored by the competitive post-doctoral grant of the China Scholarship Council in the Centre for Translation Studies at University of Leeds.
Parallel to my academic career, I am also a veteran Chinese/English conference interpreter with over 15 years’ professional experience.
As an interpreting trainer, I have extensive experiences of teaching in top interpreting programmes in China mainland, Hong Kong and the U.K. I have a “Training for Trainers Certificate” from the DG Interpretation of the European Commission. I was a leading tutor of the “National-level Excellent Course” in English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2007 and member of the “National-level Teaching Team” of English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2010.
- Director, Centre for Translation Studies
My research has focused on various aspects of interpreting and translation studies including theoretical and methodological issues in interpreting studies, interpreting competence and its development, descriptive studies of norms in interpreting, corpus-based study of the interpreting product, language-pair specificity and other issues in Chinese/English interpreting, the role of interpreting and translation activities in history, discourse-analytic interpreting and translation studies and interpreting and translation as international communication.
I have published around 40 articles of interpreting and translation studies in refereed CSSCI/Core journals such as Chinese Translators Journal and Foreign Language Teaching & Research and SSCI/A&HCI journals such as Interpreting, Meta, Perspectives and Babel. I have also authored over a dozen peer-reviewed book chapters and the monographs Theorising Interpreting Studies (2019) and A Descriptive Study of Norms in Interpreting (2013), co-edited a collection Interpreting in China: New Trends and Challenges (2010) and co-translated Introducing Interpreting Studies (Pöchhacker, 2010 Chinese). My textbooks of interpreting training are also widely used in China’s MTI and BTI programmes. My research has been funded by some major research grants including the General Research Fund (GRF) of the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and the China Ministry of Education Research Grant for Humanities and Social Sciences.
I supervise the following PhD students in interpreting studies and translation studies: Fei Gao, Yuan Ping, Zien Guo and Meihua Song.
I particularly welcome applicants with a psycholinguistic background exploring the interpreting process as bilingual processing, applicants proficient in corpus technology and multimodal tools analyzing the interpreting product, and applicants proficient in systemic-functional linguistics analyzing interpreted and translated discourse.
External Consultancy and Advisory Roles
- Editorial board: Babel - International Journal of Translation published for "The International Federation of Translators (FIT)"; Chinese Translators Journal published for "Translators Association of China (TAC)"; Translation Quarterly published for "Hong Kong Translation Society"
- External examiner in viva of PhD in interpreting and translation studies: Manchester University; SOAS, London University; Stirling University; Guangdong University of Foreign Studies; etc.
- Guest professor: Guangdong University of Foreign Studies; East China Jiaotong University; Henan Polytechnic University
- Academic reviewer: Perspectives (SSCI, Routledge), The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (SSCI, Routledge), Semiotica: Journal of the International Association for Semiotic Studies (SSCI, De Gruyter), International Journal of Interpreter Education，Asian Journal of Communication (SSCI), Chinese Translators Journal (《中国翻译》，CSSCI & CORE journal), Modern Foreign Languages (《现代外语》，CSSCI & CORE journal), Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages (《解放军外国语学院学报》，CORE journal), etc.
- Academic reviewer for book proposals and book chapters in interpreting and translation studies, including Palgrave, Springer, Routledge and John Benjamins
- Peer College member, The Martha Cheung Award for Best English Article in Translation Studies, Baker Centre, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Academic committee member, Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- External examiner: “MA TESOL”, "MA Media translation", Xi’an Jiao Tong-Liverpool University (2016-18)
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2009-Present)
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for BA in Translation and Interpreting (BTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2010-Present)
Conference keynote presentations and invited talks:
I am an invited tutor of the annual “China Training for Trainers of Interpreting and Translation Programmes” organised by the Translators Association of China (中国译协暑期全国翻译专业师资培训).
I have been invited to give guest talks in many universities in China mainland, Hong Kong and the U.K. (e.g., Lancaster University, Stirling University and Leicester University) and to deliver some plenary keynote presentations in some national and international conferences, such as:
- Jul 2019, Plenary keynote, The 1st Congress of COTIP on Translation and International Promotion of Traditional Chinese Culture, Beijing Languages and Cultures University
- Jun 2019, Plenary keynote, The 2nd Symposium on International Frontiers in Translation Studies, Journal of Foreign Language Teaching and Research & Harbin Normal University
- May 2019, Plenary keynote, The International Forum on Identity and Representation in Translation and Interpreting, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Jan 2019, Plenary keynote, Symposium on Critical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Sep 2018. Plenary keynote, Forum on Educating Languages+ Professionals for International Organisations, Shanghai International University
- Apr 2017. Plenary keynote, The 4th National Symposium on Corpus Translation Studies, Xi’an International Studies University.
- Feb 2017. Plenary keynote. The 5th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies. Durham University.
- May 2014. Plenary keynote. The 1st International Conference on Empirical Translation Studies. Shanghai Jiaotong University and SOAS, University of London.
- PhD in interpreting and translation studies
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
- Expert member (Fellow), Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Committee member, Committee of Interpreters of the TAC
Interpreting Skills: Consecutive and Simultaneous;
Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese;
Simultaneous Interpreting: Chinese;
Advanced Retour Interpreting: Consecutive and Simultaneous
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies
- Discourse analysis
- Linguistics and Translation
- Centre for New Chinese Writing
- Language processing