Professor Binhua Wang
I am Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies in the Centre of Translation Studies, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at University of Leeds. Previously I have been associate professor at University of Leeds, assistant professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and associate professor and head of Department of Interpreting at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. I have a PhD in interpreting and translation studies and did post-doctoral research sponsored by the competitive post-doctoral grant of the China Scholarship Council in the Centre for Translation Studies at University of Leeds.
Parallel to my academic career, I am also a veteran Chinese/English conference interpreter with over 15 years' professional experience.
As an interpreting trainer, I have extensive experiences of teaching in top interpreting programmes in China mainland, Hong Kong and the U.K. I have "Training for Trainers Certificate" from the DG Interpretation of the European Commission. I was leading tutor of the "National-level Excellent Course" in English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2007 and member of the "National-level Exellent Teaching Team" of English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2010.
- Programme manager, MA Conference interpreting and translation studies
My research has focused on various aspects of interpreting studies including theoretical and methodological issues in interpreting studies, interpreting competence and its development, descriptive studies of norms in interpreting, corpus-based study of the interpreting product, language-pair specificity and other issues in Chinese/English interpreting, and the role of interpreting and translation activities in history. I have also extended to other areas such as translation studies and international communication studies in recent years.
I have published nearly 40 articles of interpreting and translation studies in refereed CSSCI/Core journals such as Chinese Translators Journal and Foreign Language Teaching & Research and SSCI/A&HCI journals such as Interpreting, Meta, Perspectives and Babel. I have authored over a dozen peer-reviewed book chapters and a monograph A Descriptive Study of Norms in Interpreting (2013), co-edited a collection Interpreting in China: New Trends and Challenges (2010) and co-translated Introducing Interpreting Studies (Pöchhacker, 2004; 2010 Chinese). My textbooks of interpreting training are also widely used in China's MTI and BTI programmes. My research has been funded by some major research grants including the General Research Fund (GRF) of the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and the China Ministry of Education Research Grant for Humanities and Social Sciences.
I supervise PhD students in various aspects of interpreting studies and translation studies. I welcome particularly PhD applicants with psycholinguistic background exploring the interpreting process as bilingual processing, applicants proficient in corpus technology and multimodal tools analyzing the interpreting product, and applicants with systemic-functional linguistics background analyzing interpreted and translated discourse.
I am a regular invited tutor for the annual “China Training for Trainers of Interpreting and Translation Programmes” organised by the Translators Association of China. I have also been invited to give dozens of talks in other universities in the U.K. (e.g., Lancaster, Durham, Stirling, and Leicester), China mainland and Hong Kong as well as plenary keynote presentations in some national and international conferences
I have worked in the following external consultancy and advisory roles:
- Executive council member, China Association of Corpora and Intercultural Studies
- Committee member, China International Communication Discourse Research Committee
- Academic committee member, Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- External examiner, “MA TESOL”, “MA Media Translation”, Xi’an Jiao Tong-Liverpool University
- External examiner of PhD viva in interpreting and translation studies, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies; SOAS, London University; Stirling University; etc.
- Academic reviewer: Perspectives (A&HCI, Routledge), Meta (A&HCI), The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (SSCI, Routledge), Semiotica: Journal of the International Association for Semiotic Studies (SSCI, De Gruyter), International Journal of Interpreter Education, Asian Journal of Communication (SSCI), Chinese Translators Journal (CSSCI & CORE journal), Modern Foreign Languages (CSSCI & CORE journal), Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages (CORE journal), etc.
- Academic reviewer for book proposals and chapters in interpreting and translation studies to be published by Routledge, Springer, Palgrave and John Benjamins
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2009-Present)
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for BA in Translation and Interpreting (BTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2010-Present)
- PhD in interpreting and translation studies
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
- Expert member (Fellow), Translators Association of China (TAC)
I am Programme Manager of MA Conference Interpreting and Translation Studies.
I am module leader of Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese; Simultaneous Interpreting: Chinese; Advanced Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese.
I am also part of the teach team for the module of Methods and Approaches in Translation Studies.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies