Professor Binhua Wang
- Position: Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies
- Areas of expertise: Interpreter training; interpreting studies; translation studies; English/Chinese interpreting; English/Chinese translation
- Email: B.H.W.Wang@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1717
- Location: 1.17 Parkinson
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies in the Centre of Translation Studies, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at University of Leeds. Before 2017 I had been associate professor at the University of Leeds, assistant professor at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and associate professor and head of Department of Interpreting at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. I have a PhD in interpreting and translation studies and did post-doctoral research sponsored by the competitive post-doctoral grant of the China Scholarship Council in the Centre for Translation Studies at University of Leeds. I have also been conferred guest professorship by several universities in China.
As an interpreting trainer, I have extensive experiences of teaching in top interpreting programmes in China mainland, Hong Kong and the U.K. I have a “Training for Trainers Certificate” from the DG Interpretation of the European Commission. I am an invited trainer for the annual “Training for Trainers of Interpreting and Translation Programmes in China” organised by the Translators Association of China. I was a leading tutor of the “National-level Excellent Course” in English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2007 and member of the “National-level Teaching Team” of English/Chinese interpreting accredited by China Ministry of Education in 2010.
Parallel to my academic career, I am also a veteran Chinese/English conference interpreter with about 20 years’ professional experience.
- Director, Centre for Translation Studies
My research has focused on various aspects of interpreting studies, translation studies and intercultural communication, including theoretical and methodological issues in interpreting studies, interpreting competence and its development, descriptive studies of norms in interpreting, corpus-based study of the interpreting product, language-pair specificity and other issues in Chinese/English interpreting, the role of interpreting and translation activities in history, discourse analysis in interpreting and translation, and interpreting and translation as international communication.
I have published about 50 articles of interpreting and translation studies in refereed CSSCI/Core journals such as Chinese Translators Journal and Foreign Language Teaching & Research and SSCI/A&HCI journals such as Interpreting, Meta, Perspectives, Babel and Translation Review. I have also authored over a dozen peer-reviewed book chapters and the monographs Theorising Interpreting Studies (2019) and A Descriptive Study of Norms in Interpreting (2013), edited with Jeremy Munday the themed volume Advances in Discourse Analysis of Translation and Interpreting Studies (Routledge, 2020) and co-translated Introducing Interpreting Studies into Chinese (Pöchhacker, 2010). My textbooks for interpreter training are also widely used in China’s MTI and BTI programmes. My research has been funded by some major research grants including the General Research Fund (GRF) of the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and the China Ministry of Education Research Grant for Humanities and Social Sciences.
I have supervised the following PhD students to completion:
Fei Gao, 2020. Interpreters’ Ideological Positioning through the Evaluative Language in Conference Interpreting. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
Yuan Ping, 2020. Representations of Hong Kong in News Translation: A Corpus-Based Critical Narrative Analysis. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
I am supervising and co-supervising the following PhD students in interpreting studies, translation history, literary translation and legal discourse: Zien Guo, Meihua Song, Xiaorui Wang, Xiaoman Wang, Clarissa Guarini and Yan Chen.
I welcome particularly applicants with a psycholinguistic and/or neuroscience background who would like to explore the interpreting process as complex bilingual and cognitive processing, applicants proficient in corpus and digital technologies and multimodal tools who would like to analyse the interpreting product, and applicants proficient in systemic-functional linguistics who would like to analyse interpreted and translated discourse. I am also interested in supervising projects on translation of contemporary and modern Chinese literature.
External Consultancy and Advisory Roles:
- Editorial board member: Babel - International Journal of Translation published for "The International Federation of Translators (FIT)"; Chinese Translators Journal published for "The Translators Association of China (TAC)"; Translation Quarterly published for "The Hong Kong Translation Society"; Forum: International Journal of Interpretation and Translation (John Benjamins).
- External examiner for PhD viva in interpreting and translation studies: Manchester University; Macquarie University; SOAS, London University; Stirling University; Guangdong University of Foreign Studies; etc.
- Academic reviewer for academic journals, such as Babel (SSCI/A&HCI), Meta (A&HCI), Perspectives (A&HCI/SSCI), The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (SSCI), Semiotica: Journal of the International Association for Semiotic Studies (SSCI), Discourse Context & Media (SSCI), International Journal of Interpreter Education, Asian Journal of Communication (SSCI), Foreign Language Teaching & Research (外语教学与研究, CSSCI & CORE journal), Chinese Translators Journal (中国翻译, CSSCI & CORE journal), etc.
- Academic reviewer for some international publishers: Routledge, Palgrave Macmillan, Springer Nature and John Benjamins
- Peer College member, The Martha Cheung Award for Best English Article in Translation Studies, Baker Centre, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Academic committee member, Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2009-Present)
- Editorial Board, “Textbook Series for BA in Translation and Interpreting (BTI) in China”, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2010-Present)
Conference keynote presentations and invited talks:
I have been invited to give guest talks in many universities in China mainland, Hong Kong and the U.K. (e.g., Lancaster University, Stirling University and Leicester University) and to deliver some plenary and keynote presentations in some national and international conferences, such as:
- Jan 2021, Keynote, The 20th ITRI International Conference, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, South Korea
- Dec 2020, Keynote, The Symposium on Public Service Interpreting: Practice and Training, Xi'an International Studies University, China
- Aug 2020, Keynote, 1st WITTA Conference on Interdisciplinary Translation and Interpreting Studies, Hunan, China
- Nov 2019, Plenary keynote, Summit Forum on Translation & International Communication, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
- Aug 2019, Plenary keynote, International Conference on Translation Education, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Jul 2019, Plenary keynote, The 1st Congress of COTIP on Translation and International Promotion of Traditional Chinese Culture, Beijing Languages and Cultures University
- Jun 2019, Plenary keynote, The 2nd Symposium on International Frontiers in Translation Studies, Journal of Foreign Language Teaching and Research & Harbin Normal University
- May 2019, Plenary keynote, The International Forum on Identity and Representation in Translation and Interpreting, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Jan 2019, Plenary keynote, Symposium on Critical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Sep 2018. Plenary keynote, Forum on Educating Languages+ Professionals for International Organisations, Shanghai International University
- Apr 2017. Plenary keynote, The 4th National Symposium on Corpus Translation Studies, Xi’an International Studies University.
- Feb 2017. Plenary keynote. The 5th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies. Durham University.
- May 2014. Plenary keynote. The 1st International Conference on Empirical Translation Studies. Shanghai Jiaotong University and SOAS, University of London.
- PhD in interpreting and translation studies
- Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
- Expert member (Fellow), The Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Birmingham University, 2009
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Oxford University, 2006
- Vice Chair, Academic committee of the “World Interpreter and Translator Training Association” (WITTA)
- Committee member, The Interpreters Committee of the TAC
- Executive council member, The China Association of Corpora and Intercultural Studies
During the past 16 years, I have been teaching both practical and theoretical modules for the professional postgraduate programmes in interpreting and in translation.
Recently I have contributed mainly to the following modules in different years:
Interpreting Skills: Consecutive and Simultaneous;
Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese;
Simultaneous Interpreting: Chinese;
Advanced Retour Interpreting: Simultaneous;
Methods and Approaches in Translation Studies
In my previous universities, I have also taught “Specialised Translation”, “Literary Translation”, “Interpreting: Theories & Practice”, “Interpreting Studies” and “Translation Studies” in different years.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies
- Discourse analysis
- Linguistics and Translation
- Centre for New Chinese Writing
- Language processing