Professor Binhua Wang
- Position: Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies
- Areas of expertise: Interpreter training; interpreting studies; translation studies; English/Chinese interpreting; English/Chinese translation
- Email: B.H.W.Wang@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1717
- Location: 1.17 Parkinson
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies in the Centre of Translation Studies, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at University of Leeds. Before 2017 I had been associate professor at University of Leeds, assistant professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and associate professor and head of the Department of Interpreting at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. I have also been conferred guest/honorary professorship by several universities in China.
I have a PhD in interpreting and translation studies, and did post-doctoral research sponsored by the competitive post-doctoral grant of the China Scholarship Council in the Centre for Translation Studies at University of Leeds.
As an interpreting trainer, I have extensive experiences of teaching in top interpreting programmes in China mainland, Hong Kong and the UK. I have a Training for Trainers Certificate from the DG Interpretation of the European Commission. I am a regularly invited trainer for the annual Training for Trainers of Interpreting and Translation Programmes in China organised by the Translators Association of China and the China National Committee for Translation & Interpreting Education.
I was a tutor of the National-level Excellence Course in English/Chinese interpreting accredited by the China Ministry of Education in 2007 and member of the National-level Teaching Team of English/Chinese interpreting accredited by the China Ministry of Education in 2010.
Parallel to my academic career, I am also a veteran Chinese/English conference interpreter with about 20 years professional experience.
External Consultancy and Advisory Roles:
- Executive Committee member & Representative for East Asian Studies, University Council of Modern Languages (UCML), UK
- Vice Chair, Academic Committee of the "World Interpreter and Translator Training Association" (WITTA)
- The Interpreters Committee member, the Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Editorial board member: Babel - International Journal of Translation (SSCI/A&HCI journal of ‘The International Federation of Translators’, FIT); The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (SSCI journal); Chinese Translators Journal (CSSCI journal of ‘The Translators Association of China’, TAC); Forum: International Journal of Interpretation and Translation (ESCI journal, John Benjamins); Translation Quarterly (journal of ‘The Hong Kong Translation Society’).
- Invited academic assessor of the annual Academic Reputation Survey for the QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2011–Present)
- Peer College member, The Martha Cheung Award for the Best English Article in Translation Studies, Baker Centre for Translation & Intercultural Studies at Shanghai International Studies University
- Academic reviewer for top international academic journals and top academic journals in China
- Academic reviewer for international publishers: Routledge, Palgrave Macmillan, Springer Nature and John Benjamins
- Peer College member, The Martha Cheung Award for Best English Article in Translation Studies, Baker Centre, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Academic committee member, Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Editorial Board, ‘Textbook Series for Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) in China’, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2009–Present)
- Editorial Board, ‘Textbook Series for BA in Translation and Interpreting (BTI) in China’, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2010–Present)
- Director, Centre for Translation Studies
My publications in recent years have focused on the following aspects:
- theoretical and methodological issues in interpreting studies
- interpreting competence and its development
- descriptive studies of norms in interpreting
- corpus-based study of the interpreting product
- language-pair specificity and other issues in Chinese/English interpreting
- the role of interpreting and translation activities in history
- discourse analysis in interpreting and translation
- interpreting and translation as international communication
I have published around 50 articles in refereed CSSCI/Core journals such as Chinese Translators Journal and Foreign Language Teaching & Research and SSCI/A&HCI journals such as Interpreting, Meta, Perspectives, Babel and Translation Review, and over a dozen peer-reviewed book chapters in Routledge, Springer, John Benjamins and Palgrave.
I have authored the monographs Theorising Interpreting Studies (2019) and A Descriptive Study of Norms in Interpreting (2013), edited with Jeremy Munday the themed volume Advances in Discourse Analysis of Translation and Interpreting Studies (Routledge, 2020) and co-translated Introducing Interpreting Studies into Chinese (Pöchhacker, 2010). My textbooks for interpreter training are also widely used in China’s MTI and BTI programmes.
My research has been funded by some major research grants including the General Research Fund (GRF) of the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and the China Ministry of Education Research Grant for Humanities and Social Sciences.
I have supervised the following PhD students to completion:
- Fei Gao, 2020. Interpreters’ Ideological Positioning through the Evaluative Language in Conference Interpreting. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
- Yuan Ping, 2020. Representations of Hong Kong in News Translation: A Corpus-Based Critical Narrative Analysis. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
I am supervising and co-supervising the following PhD students in interpreting studies, translation history, literary translation and legal discourse:
- Zien Guo
- Meihua Song
- Xiaorui Wang
- Xiaoman Wang
- Clarissa Guarini
- Yan Chen
I have acted as an external examiner for PhD examination/viva in interpreting and translation studies at SOAS of London University, Macquarie University, Manchester University, Stirling University, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, and an internal examiner for PhD viva at University of Leeds.
I welcome particularly applicants with a psycholinguistic and/or neuroscience background who are keen to explore: the interpreting process as complex bilingual and cognitive processing, applicants proficient in corpus and digital technologies and multimodal tools who are keen to analyse the interpreting product, and applicants proficient in systemic-functional linguistics who are keen to analyse interpreted and translated discourse. I am also interested in supervising projects on translation of contemporary and modern Chinese literature.
Conference keynote presentations and invited talks
I have been invited to give guest talks in many universities in China mainland, Hong Kong, the US and the UK (e.g., Lancaster University, Stirling University and Leicester University) and to give plenary keynote presentations in some international and national conferences, such as:
- July 2021, Plenary keynote, The International Symposium on T&I as Social Interaction, University College London
- June 2021, Plenary keynote, International Symposium on Translation and Communication, Hunan Normal University
- January 2021, Plenary keynote, The 20th ITRI Interntional Conference, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, South Korea
- December 2020, Plenary keynote, The Symposium on Public Service Interpreting: Practice and Training, Xi'an International Studies University, China
- August 2020, Plenary keynote, The 1st WITTA Conference on Interdisciplinary Translation and Interpreting Studies, Hunan, China
- November 2019, Plenary keynote, Summit Forum on Translation & International Communication, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
- August 2019, Plenary keynote, International Conference on Translation Education, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- July 2019, Plenary keynote, The 1st Congress of COTIP on Translation and International Promotion of Traditional Chinese Culture, Beijing Languages and Cultures University
- June 2019, Plenary keynote, The 2nd Symposium on International Frontiers in Translation Studies, Journal of Foreign Language Teaching and Research & Harbin Normal University
- May 2019, Plenary keynote, The International Forum on Identity and Representation in Translation and Interpreting, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- January 2019, Plenary keynote, Symposium on Critical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- September 2018, Plenary keynote, Forum on Educating Languages+ Professionals for International Organisations, Shanghai International University
- April 2017, Plenary keynote, The 4th National Symposium on Corpus Translation Studies, Xi’an International Studies University.
- February 2017, Plenary keynote. The 5th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies, Durham University.
- May 2014, Plenary keynote, The 1st International Conference on Empirical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University and SOAS, University of London.
- PhD in interpreting and translation studies
- Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
- Expert member (Fellow), The Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Birmingham University, 2009
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Oxford University, 2006
- Vice Chair, Academic committee of the 'World Interpreter and Translator Training Association' (WITTA)
- Committee member, The Interpreters Committee of the TAC
- Executive council member, The China Association of Corpora and Intercultural Studies
I have been teaching both practical and theoretical modules/courses for the professional postgraduate programmes in interpreting and in translation during the past two decades, including various interpreting modules/course and ‘Practical Translation’, ‘Literary Translation’, ‘Interpreting: Theories & Practice’, ‘Interpreting Studies’ and ‘Translation Studies’ in different years.
In recent years I have contributed mainly to the following modules/courses in different years:
- Interpreting Skills: Consecutive and Simultaneous
- Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese
- Simultaneous Interpreting: Chinese
- Advanced Retour Interpreting: Simultaneous
- Methods and Approaches in Translation Studies
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies
- Discourse analysis
- Linguistics and Translation
- Centre for New Chinese Writing
- Language processing