Professor Binhua Wang
- Position: Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies
- Areas of expertise: Interpreter training; interpreting studies; translation studies; English/Chinese interpreting; English/Chinese translation
- Email: B.H.W.Wang@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1717
- Location: 1.17 Parkinson
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Chair/Professor of interpreting and translation studies in the Centre for Translation Studies, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at University of Leeds since July 2017. Previously had been Associate Professor at University of Leeds, Assistant Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Interpreting at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
Having a PhD in interpreting and translation studies; Did post-doctoral research sponsored by the competitive post-doctoral grant of the China Scholarship Council in the Centre for Translation Studies at University of Leeds (2010-11).
Having an extensive experience of providing interpreter training for three top interpreting programmes in China mainland, Hong Kong and the UK during the past two decades. Awarded Training for Trainers Certificate by the DG Interpretation of the European Commission. A regularly invited trainer for the annual Training for Trainers of Interpreting and Translation Programmes in China (organised by the Translators Association of China and the China National Committee for Translation & Interpreting Education). A tutor of the National-level Excellence Course in English/Chinese interpreting accredited by the China Ministry of Education in 2007 and member of the National-level Teaching Team of English/Chinese interpreting accredited by the China Ministry of Education in 2010.
Also a veteran Chinese/English conference interpreter with about 20 years’ professional experience.
Service and impact to the wider academic community:
- Executive Committee member & Representative for East Asian Studies, University Council of Modern Languages (UCML), UK
- Vice Chair, Academic Committee of the "World Interpreter and Translator Training Association" (WITTA)
- The Interpreters Committee member of the Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Co-editor, Interpreting and Society (SAGE Publishing)
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Chinese and English Translation & Interpreting
- International Advisory Board member, BOOK SERIES – Routledge Studies in East Asian Interpreting
- Editorial board member: Babel - International Journal of Translation (SSCI/A&HCI journal of ‘The International Federation of Translators’, FIT); The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (SSCI journal); Chinese Translators Journal (CSSCI journal of ‘The Translators Association of China’, TAC); Forum: International Journal of Interpretation and Translation (ESCI journal, John Benjamins); Translation Quarterly (journal of ‘The Hong Kong Translation Society’); etc.
- Invited academic assessor of the annual Academic Reputation Survey for the QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2011–Present)
- Peer College member, The Martha Cheung Award for the Best English Article in Translation Studies, Baker Centre for Translation & Intercultural Studies at Shanghai International Studies University
- Academic reviewer for top international academic journals and top academic journals in China
- Academic reviewer for international publishers: Routledge, Palgrave Macmillan, Springer Nature and John Benjamins
- Academic committee member, Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Editorial Board, ‘Textbook Series for Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) in China’, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2009–Present)
- Editorial Board, ‘Textbook Series for BA in Translation and Interpreting (BTI) in China’, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (2010–Present)
- Served as Director of the Centre for Translation Studies from 2019 to Jan 2022
- Served as Programme Manager of MA/PGDip Conference Interpreting (Aug 2015 - Jan 2020)
- Served as Programme Manager of MA/PGDip Business and Public Service Interpreting (Jul 2019 -Jan2020)
Publications in recent years have focused on the following aspects:
- theoretical and methodological issues in interpreting studies
- interpreting competence and its development
- descriptive studies of norms in interpreting
- corpus-based study of the interpreting product
- language-pair specificity and other issues in Chinese/English interpreting
- the role of interpreting and translation activities in history
- discourse analysis in interpreting and translation
- interpreting and translation as international communication
Having published over 50 articles in refereed CSSCI/Core journals such as Chinese Translators Journal and Foreign Language Teaching & Research and SSCI/A&HCI journals such as Interpreting, Meta, Perspectives, Babel and Translation Review, and over a dozen peer-reviewed book chapters in Routledge, Springer, John Benjamins and Palgrave.
Authored the monographs Theorising Interpreting Studies (2019) and A Descriptive Study of Norms in Interpreting (2013), edited with Jeremy Munday the themed volume Advances in Discourse Analysis of Translation and Interpreting Studies (Routledge, 2020) and co-translated Introducing Interpreting Studies into Chinese (Pöchhacker, 2010). Textbooks for interpreter training are also widely used in China’s MTI and BTI programmes.
The project on corpus-based studies of political discourse was funded by the competitive grant of the General Research Fund (GRF, the Hong Kong Research Grants Council). The project on interpreter competence and its development was funded by the China Ministry of Education Research Grant for Humanities and Social Sciences.
Welcome particularly PhD applicants with psycholinguistic or neuroscience background who are keen to explore the interpreting process as complex bilingual and cognitive processing, applicants proficient in corpus and digital technologies and multimodal tools who are keen to analyse the interpreting product, and applicants proficient in systemic-functional linguistics who are keen to analyse interpreted and translated discourse. Also interested in supervising PhD projects on translation of contemporary and modern Chinese literature.
Supervised the following PhD students to completion:
- Fei Gao, 2020. Interpreters’ Ideological Positioning through the Evaluative Language in Conference Interpreting. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
- Yuan Ping, 2020. Representations of Hong Kong in News Translation: A Corpus-Based Critical Narrative Analysis. PhD dissertation, University of Leeds
Supervising and co-supervising the following PhD students in interpreting studies, translation history, literary translation and legal discourse:
- Zien Guo
- Meihua Song
- Xiaorui Wang
- Xiaoman Wang
- Lu Yuan
- Yan Chen
- Clarissa Guarini (for one year in 2021)
Having acted as the external examiner for PhD examinations/viva in interpreting and translation studies at SOAS of London University, Macquarie University, Manchester University, Stirling University, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, and as the internal examiner for PhD viva at University of Leeds.
Conference keynote presentations and invited talks
Having been invited to give guest talks in many universities in China mainland, Hong Kong, the US, EU countries and the UK (e.g., University of Massachusetts Amherst, Lancaster University, Stirling University and Leicester University) and to make keynote presentations in some international and national conferences, such as:
- Dec 2021, Plenary keynote, International Forum on the Comparison and Communication between Chinese and Foreign Languages & Cultures, Wuhan University of Technology
- Oct 2021, Plenary, The Fifth Conference on Interdisciplinarity in Translation and Interpreting, Shanghai International Studies University
- July 2021, Plenary keynote, The International Symposium on T&I as Social Interaction, University College London
- June 2021, Plenary keynote, International Symposium on Translation and Communication, Hunan Normal University
- January 2021, Plenary keynote, The 20th ITRI Interntional Conference, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, South Korea
- December 2020, Plenary keynote, The Symposium on Public Service Interpreting: Practice and Training, Xi'an International Studies University, China
- August 2020, Plenary keynote, The 1st WITTA Conference on Interdisciplinary Translation and Interpreting Studies, Hunan, China
- November 2019, Plenary keynote, Summit Forum on Translation & International Communication, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
- August 2019, Plenary keynote, International Conference on Translation Education, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- July 2019, Plenary keynote, The 1st Congress of COTIP on Translation and International Promotion of Traditional Chinese Culture, Beijing Languages and Cultures University
- June 2019, Plenary keynote, The 2nd Symposium on International Frontiers in Translation Studies, Journal of Foreign Language Teaching and Research & Harbin Normal University
- May 2019, Plenary keynote, The International Forum on Identity and Representation in Translation and Interpreting, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- January 2019, Plenary keynote, Symposium on Critical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- September 2018, Plenary keynote, Forum on Educating Languages+ Professionals for International Organisations, Shanghai International University
- April 2017, Plenary keynote, The 4th National Symposium on Corpus Translation Studies, Xi’an International Studies University.
- February 2017, Plenary keynote. The 5th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies, Durham University.
- May 2014, Plenary keynote, The 1st International Conference on Empirical Translation Studies, Shanghai Jiaotong University and SOAS, University of London.
- PhD in interpreting and translation studies
- Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
- Expert member (Fellow), The Translators Association of China (TAC)
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Birmingham University, 2009
- Certificate of Training in Public Administration, Oxford University, 2006
- Vice Chair, Academic committee of the 'World Interpreter and Translator Training Association' (WITTA)
- The Interpreters Committee member of the TAC
- Executive council member, The China Association of Corpora and Intercultural Studies
Having taught both practical and theoretical modules/courses for professional postgraduate programmes in interpreting and in translation during the past two decades, including various interpreting modules/courses and ‘Practical Translation’, ‘Literary Translation’, ‘Interpreting: Theories & Practice’, ‘Interpreting Studies’ and ‘Translation Studies’.
Contributing now mainly to teaching of the following modules/courses in different years:
- Interpreting Skills: Consecutive and Simultaneous
- Consecutive Interpreting: Chinese
- Simultaneous Interpreting: Chinese
- Advanced Retour Interpreting: Simultaneous
- Methods and Approaches in Translation Studies
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies
- Discourse analysis
- Linguistics and Translation
- Centre for New Chinese Writing
- Language processing