Dr Emma Trott
- Position: Research Fellow in Contemporary Poetics
- Areas of expertise: Contemporary poetics; ecopoetry; environmental humanities; critical plant studies; new materialisms; medical humanities; metaphor in medicine; the heart in literature and culture
- Email: E.J.G.Trott@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0110
- Location: 6.1.06 6 Cavendish Road
- Website: Twitter
My PhD thesis (undertaken at Leeds) explored the relationship between creativity and the environment in the poetry of Jon Silkin and Simon Armitage in the context of a world in crisis.
My new project, supported by a one-year Wellcome Trust fellowship (August 2019-August 2020), focusses on the heart in contemporary literature, film and culture. Taking as its starting point commonly-used heart metaphors, I intend to explore the connections between emotional and physical health and suffering. This project includes an ongoing collaboration with Hoodwink Theatre.
I recently co-curated the exhibition, Poetry By Design: a re-appraisal of visual and concrete poetics, with Professor Fiona Becket, in the Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery (open until 23rd August 2019).
I am also working on a project exploring changes in sensory experience in restored peatlands, in collaboration with Yorkshire Peat Partnership.
I am involved with the Leeds Poetry Centre, and am a member of the School of English Environmental Humanities Research Group and Medical Humanities Research Group.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in the School of English, University of Leeds
- MA Modern and Contemporary Literature, University of Leeds
- BA English Language and Literature (European), University of Leeds
- Association for the Study of Literature and Environment, UK-I
- Association for Medical Humanities
I teach undergraduate modules, primarily on contemporary literature, literature and the environment, poetry and romantic literature, and supervise final year projects.
Research groups and institutes
- Environmental Humanities Research Group