Dr Jim Baxter
- Position: IDEA Centre Professional Ethics Consultancy Team Leader
- Areas of expertise: Applied ethics, moral responsibility, professional ethics.
- Email: J.D.Baxter@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8211
- Location: 1.13 17, Blenheim Terrace
- Website: IDEA Centre website | Twitter | LinkedIn
My work involves engaging with organisations outside the University as part of the IDEA Centre's consultancy, training, and applied research portfolio. We provide ethical review and consultancy services, training/continuing professional development, and commissioned research. I also do some teaching, both on IDEA’s postgraduate programmes and in the Business School.
My book Moral Responsibility and the Psychopath: the Value of Others examines the question of whether psychopaths are morally responsible for their actions, by synthesising philosophical work on moral responsibility with empirical work on psychopathy.
I have also published on professional ethics, and have completed a number of commissioned research projects as part of my consultancy role, including research into integrity in collaboration with the Institute for Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, a National Inquiry into Ethical Decision-Making in NHS trusts, and research into professionalism in banking for the Banking Standards Board.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Philosophy (Leeds)
- MA Philosophy (Leeds)
- BA Philosophy (Sheffield)
- Tuesday 2–3pm
- Wednesday 2–3pm
Research groups and institutes
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Big Data
- Ethics, Culture and Decision-Making
- Moral Psychology
- Professional Ethics