Dr Jeanne-Louise Moys
- Position: Associate Professor of Graphic & Communication Design
- Areas of expertise: communication design; design for change; design pedagogy; editorial design; graphic design; inclusive design; information design; typography; user-centred design; visual language
- Email: J.L.Moys@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Jeanne-Louise Art | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
Dr Jeanne-Louise Moys is an academic, artist and designer.
Previously, she held academic roles at the University of Reading (UK), the Interactive Design Institute (University of Hertfordshire, UK) and Rhodes University (South Africa). She holds a prestigious University Teaching Fellow lifetime award from the University of Reading, where she was also part of the Breaking down Barriers inclusive design team that won a University Collaborative Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching and Learning and a Highly Commended CIOB International Innovation & Research Award.
Jeanne-Louise is currently a member of a READSEARCH doctoral commission at Hasselt University. She has acted as an external examiner for the University of Portsmouth (MA and BA programmes), the University of Johannesburg (MA thesis examiner) and the University of Leeds (PhD thesis examiner).
She was guest editor for the journal Visible Language special focus on inclusive design. She also undertakes peer review and scholarship activities for design and pedagogic conferences, journals and book publishers.
Her academic expertise is complemented by her professional design and media experience working for a range of local and international clients in both the UK and South Africa. She also has experience in arts journalism, with a particular interest in dance.
- School Director of Postgraduate Research (from September 2022)
- Deputy programme lead: MA Design (from September 2022)
Jeanne-Louise’s research focuses on inclusive and user-centred design across a range of genres and communication contexts. In particular, she explores how visual design plays a role in influencing people’s experiences of identity and inclusion and the ease with which they can achieve everyday communication tasks. She has a passion for inclusive design, typography and design pedagogy.
Jeanne-Louise has undertaken a range of individual and collaborative research and consultancy projects, including projects funded by: the European Institute of Innovation & Technology/Horzon 2020, E-Read COST Action 1404, the National Institute for Health Research, the Office of Parliamentary Council, the Simplification Centre and the University of Reading.
Jeanne-Louise has supervised and examined recent PhD candidates undertaking work in the following areas:
- Arabic typography for beginner readers
- Design for decision making: the design of information for later life housing options
- Designing italics: approaches to the design of contemporary secondary text typefaces
- Digital and platform independent type systems
- Information Design and Library Science
- Legibility of Chinese-English bilingual traffic sign design
- Reading with early-stage Alzheimer's disease: modifications to book design as a way of supporting preserved literacy skills
- Sharing textual graphic tools: early lessons in graphic language through practices in handwriting organisation by teachers and pupils in schools in Recife
- The development of typographic forms for the Kannada and Telugu scripts (1801–1900)
- Visual communication of transportation system: using information design to strengthen the legibility of transit maps
- PhD (University of Reading)
- MA (Rhodes University)
- BJourn (Rhodes University)
- Information Design Association
I primarily contribute to postgraduate study and the MA Design programme.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://phd.leeds.ac.uk">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/funding/286-university-of-leeds-school-of-design-–-art-and-design-(practice-based)-scholarship-2023-">University of Leeds School of Design – Art and Design (Practice-based) Scholarship 2023 </a></li>