- Position: Lecturer in Applied Ethics
- Areas of expertise: Applied ethics; normative ethics; moral philosophy; political philosophy; ethics of partiality; ethics of love; ethics of sex; bioethics; neuroethics; medical ethics; theories of distributive justice.
- Email: R.J.Arrell@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.12 17 Blenheim Terrace
- Website: robbiearrell.com | Academia | ORCID
Before joining the Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied (IDEA) Centre at the University of Leeds, I held positions as an International Research Fellow at Wuhan University in Wuhan, China, and as a Lecturer in Philosophy at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. I completed my PhD entitled The Ethics of Partiality at the University of Melbourne after obtaining an MA in Political Philosophy and a BSocSc in Politics and Sociology at University College Dublin in Ireland.
I am particularly interested in issues in moral and political philosophy and ethics (both normative and applied) that arise as a result of the existence of various forms of partiality. I am currently developing a novel theory of partiality which implores a reconceptualization of the very foundations of special reasons and ‘associative’ duties of partiality. This project has applications in various theoretical debates (e.g. value theory and theories of moral obligation) as well as practical debates (e.g., partiality in personal/familial relationships, the ethics of love and sex, the ethics of relationship neuroenhancement, partiality towards religious communities, the ethics of patriotism and nationalism, the justification of political duties, and related issues of practical and distributive justice). In addition, my areas of expertise encompass the responsibilities of citizenship, the philosophy and politics of human rights, theories of justice, democratic theory, bioethics, engineering ethics, professional ethics and various topics pertaining to the ethics poverty, ecology and war.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD (Philosophy)
- MA (Political Philosophy)
- BSocSc International (Politics and Sociology)
- Society for Applied Philosophy
- Australiasian Association of Philosophy