- Position: Professor of Inter-Disciplinary Applied Ethics
- Areas of expertise: Ancient Philosophy (Plato and Aristotle), Moral Psychology, Medical Ethics, Business Ethics, Professional Ethics, Ethics and Political Philosophy
- Email: C.B.Megone@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7888
- Location: Baines Wing and 18 Blenheim Terrace
I joined the University of Leeds as a Teaching Fellow in 1991, then promoted to lecturer in 1992, senior lecturer in 1996, and Professor in 2008. I was Faculty Knowledge Transfer (Impact) Director from 2006-2011, and Faculty International Director from 2012 to 2017.
I studied Classics at Oxford and went on to do a BPhil and a DPhil in Philosophy, also at Oxford. Prior to coming to Leeds I taught at the University of York from 1983-1991. I was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship in 2007.
After success in the National Centres of Excellence in Teaching and Leanring (CETLs) competition in 2005, I founded the Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied (IDEA) CETL in 2005. As Head of Centre, my prime responsibility is to work with the Executive and Centre Manager to develop the strategic direction of the Centre in its mission to become a world class Centre for Inter-Disciplinary Applied Ethics. This includes leading the development of its learning and teaching, research and professional ethics training and consultancy activities, and seeking to ensure their integration as mutually supportive functions of the Centre.
In addition to my role as Head of Centre, I also teach at undergraduate, taught Masters and PhD levels, in particular I have been a programme lead on the MA in Biomedical and Health Care Ethics (campus) and MA in Applied and Professional Ethics (online), and participated in the development of our online teaching more generally. At undergraduate level I am mainly involved in teaching with business ethics, medical ethics, and ethics in dentistry. I also teach Ancient Philosophy in the School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science, and supervise at Master's and PhD level in that area.
My research is focused on medical ethics and business and professional ethics, moral psychology and (neo-Aristotelian) ethics and political philosophy. I have edited two books and published more than forty articles across these fields. I am currently completing a book on rational desires and practical wisdom, a neo-Aristotelian approach.
I have contributed to the Centre's Conultancy and Training work with a number of prominent boddies in the professions, including the Institute of Chartered Accountants for England and Wales, the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, the Institute of Engineering and Technology, the Royal Academy of Engineering, the Chartered Institute of Banking, and the Banking Standards Board, among others. I was an Expert Witness for the Leveson Inquiry: the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press.
My main relaxations are with my family (wife, two daughters and a son), and participating in cricket, tennis, squash, table-tennis, singing and walking, as well as in retaining our links to the Eastern Cape in South Africa.
- Director of IDEA Centre, Programme Manager
My mian areas of research interest are
- Applied Ethics, especially medical ethics, business ethics and professional ethics
- Plato and Aristotle
- Rationality and Moral Psychology
- Ethics and Political Philosophy
- S. Mason and C. Megone (eds.), European Neonatal Research: Consent, Ethics Committees, and Law (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2001)
- C. Megone and S. Robinson (eds.), Case Histories in Business Ethics (London: Routledge, 2002), available from Amazon.
- C. Megone, “Mental Illness, Metaphysics, Facts and Values”, Philosophical Papers, Vol 36, No 3 (November 2007), pp. 399-426.
- C. Megone, “Formation and Virtue, Academic and Professional” in J. Strain, R. Barnett, and P.Jarvis (eds), Universities, Ethics and Professions (Routledge, 2009), pp. 57-68, available from Amazon.
- C. Megone, “Integrity, Virtue and the Financial Crisis” in Samuel Gregg and John Haldane (eds.), Profit, Prudence and Virtue: Essays in Ethics, Business and Management (St Andrews Studies in Philosophy and Public Affairs, Imprint Academic, 2009) (in press), pp195-210, available from Amazon.
- C. Megone, "Aristotelian Ethics", fully revised entry in Ruth Chadwick (ed.), Encyclopaedia of Applied Ethics, (Reed Elsevier Press), March, 2012.
- C. Megone, “Ancient Applied Philosophy”, in K. Rasmussen, D. Coady, and K. Brownlee (eds), Companion to Applied Philosophy (Wiley Blackwell), 2017.
- C. Megone (lead author), E. Wilman, S. Oliver, L. Duley, G.Gill, J. Wright, “The ethical issues regarding consent to clinical trials with pre-term or sick neonates: a systematic review (framework synthesis) of the empirical research” BMC Trials accepted, November 2015
- C. Megone (lead author), E. Wilman, S. Oliver, L. Duley, G.Gill, J. Wright, “The ethical issues regarding consent to clinical trials with pre-term or sick neonates: a systematic review (framework synthesis) of the analytical research” in submission to BMC Trials, September 2016
- C Megone and J Baxter, Report for Banking Standards Board "Exploring the Role of Professional Bodies and Professional Qualifications in the UK Banking Sectore", BSB October 2016
- Chris Megone and Dana Born (Harvard), "Character and Leadership: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century" forthcoming 2018
- C. Megone, "Responsibility and Professionalism in Finance", forthcoming 2018.
- BA, MA, BPhil, DPhil
I am a National Teaching Fellow and Director of a National Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (the IDEA CETL). I have been Directo of Student Education in Philosophy (priior to its being part of the School of PRHS) and a member of the Faculty SE Committee from 2006-2017.
I teach at undergraduate, taught Masters and PhD levels, in particular I have been a programme lead on the MA in Biomedical and Health Care Ethics (campus) and MA in Applied and Professional Ethics (online), and participated in the development of our online teaching more generally. At undergraduate level I am mainly involved in teaching with business ethics, medical ethics, and ethics in dentistry. I also teach Ancient Philosophy in the School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science, and supervise at Master's and PhD level in that area.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Ethics and Metaethics
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Big Data
- History of Ethics
- Leadership Ethics, Persuasion and Public Reason
- Professional Ethics
- Moral Psychology