Dr Stefan Skrimshire
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Political theology; eco-theology; continental philosophy of religion; critical theory; environmental ethics.
- Email: S.Skrimshire@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5266
- Location: 3.02 Botany House
Previous posts: Lincoln Theological Institute at The University of Manchester, Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied (IDEA) at the University of Leeds.
My work bridges Christian political theology and continental philosophy, and is usually in dialogue with the environmental humanities. I'm interested in how Christian thought continues to shape and inform political life, particularly in relation to climate change activism. My research projects all relate to the religious, ethical and philosophical responses to mass extinction, climate emergency, the Anthropocene epoch.
Funded research projects (current):
- Thinking Through Extinction: cultural heritage as stimulus for exploring philosophies of extinction (AHRC Large Grant, PI, 2018-2021) - working with Manchester Museum, writers and artists to explore public engagement with the imagination of extinction.
- Religion and Extinction Network (AHRC Network, PI, 2018-2020) - the first academic network of scholars examining religious traditions and indigenous spiritualties' responses to the "sixth mass extinction"; working with Encounter Arts to engage publics with the question of faith and extinction.
- Imagining and Representing Species Extinctions (White Rose doctoral network, lead researcher, 2017-2020) - involving 3 students and 6 academic across Leeds, York, Sheffield, and crossing disciplines of philosophy and theology, English literature, design, management, and marine biology.
Keen to supervise the following areas:
- Political theology
- Continental philosophy of religion
- Religion and critical / cultural theory
- Religion and environmental humanities / environmental ethics
- Jewish and Christian apocalyptic belief
- Christianity and political protest
- Literature and theology
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BA (Durham)
- MA (Manchester)
- PhD (Manchester)
I provide teaching in both TRS (with a focus on religion and politics, political theology, religion and public life) and Philosophy (existentialism and phenomenology, continental philosophy, occasionally ethics). I also offer Masters tuition in those areas, and welcome students interested in the points of cross-over!
I am supervising the following PhD Students:
- Cecilia Tricker-Walsh (WRoCAH) - Theories of Loss in Cultural Representations of Extinction
- Mike Love - Political Theology of the City
- Kristi Boone - Divine ambition: Tracing the power of American civil religion through presidential campaign rhetoric
- Samia Naqvi (with School of English) - Ecology and Sufi malamat in Sadequain's selected works
and the following Masters by Research Students:
- Jennifer Dnes - Mystery in the work of Marilynne Robinson
- Shai Tubaly - Camus, the Absurd, and Science Fiction Films
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Religion and Public Life
- Environmental Humanities Research Group
- Theology and Religious Studies