Dr Peter Haysom
- Position: Teaching Fellow in Portuguese
- Areas of expertise: 20th and 21st century Portuguese literature; Black Portugal Portuguese rap; Brazilian rap; Brazilian cinema; Brazilian literature; regional identity; feminist studies; positionality; anti-racism.
- Email: P.Haysom@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: B.05. Michael Sadler Building
- Website: Academia.edu | Twitter | ORCID
I completed a B.A. in Modern and Medieval Languages at the University of Cambridge (2014), an M.A. in Literary, Cultural and Inter-art Studies at the University of Porto (2016), and a Ph.D. programme in Portuguese & Lusophone Studies at the University of Nottingham (2022). Outside of academia, I worked for three years as an International Business Consultant, at the Portuguese company Market Access: Experts in International Business.
My teaching at Leeds has been multi-faceted and multi-disciplinary, ranging from Portuguese language teaching to the “Black Europe” discovery module. I have adopted a teaching-led research, alongside a teaching-led research ethos, to ensure maximum symbiosis between scholarship and pedagogy.
I have published articles in the Portugal-based Cadernos de literatura comparada, the British Portuguese Studies journal, the U.S. based Journal of Lusophone Studies and the American Portuguese Literary & Cultural Studies (forthcoming). My first monograph, Regionalisms and Resistance in the Twentieth-Century Portuguese Novel: Spatialised Ideologies will be published by Legenda/MHRA in 2024.
My Ph.D. research (to be published as a monograph in 2024) focussed on the ideological uses of regional space and regional dynamics in selected novels by Aquilino Ribeiro, Agustina Bessa-Luís, Lídia Jorge and José Saramago. My other research interests include queer eco-consciousness in 21st century Portuguese poetry, anti-racist discourse in contemporary Portuguese music, dictatorship-era Portuguese cinema, and Brazilian rap music from 1985–present.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Associate Fellow, HEA
- Association of British & Irish Lusitanists
- American Portuguese Studies Association
- International Lusitanists Association
- Intersexualidades/Intersexualities international research network
- European Popular Musics
At Leeds, I have taught on the following topics:
- Portuguese language (at various levels)
- Spanish-English specialised translation
- Brazilian literature
- Portuguese, Brazilian and Angolan cinema
- The history of Portugal, Brazil and Lusophone Africa
- Queer resistance in Bolsonaro’s Brazil
- Black Portugal from 1400-present
- Hidden presences in Black Britain