Dr Frances Weightman
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Chinese fiction of periods; Chinese authorial identity; paratexts in Chinese literature; Chinese-English literary translation
- Email: F.Weightman@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3560
- Location: G.07, 14 Cromer Terrace
I feel privileged to teach and research in an area which never ceases to excite and interest me personally, and one which I believe is also of crucial importance to the world today.
As for my academic qualifications, I have an MA in Chinese and a PhD in Classical Chinese Fiction, both from the University of Edinburgh. I came to Leeds in 2001 and have been here ever since.
- Director of The Leeds Centre for New Chinese Writing
I am interested in Chinese fiction of all time periods, and specifically in the fields of Chinese authorial identity, paratexts and Chinese-English literary translation.
I am Director of The Leeds Centre for New Chinese Writing, and my current research is looking at contemporary Chinese literature and its translation into English.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Association for Speakers of Chinese as a Second Language (co-founder)
- European Association for Chinese Studies
- British Association of Chinese Studies
- Universities Council for Modern Languages (Exec Board)
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
I very much enjoy teaching and consider it a key part of my role, so was delighted to win the University's Partnership Award for Inspirational Teaching. I teach modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level on Chinese literature (contemporary and traditional), modern Chinese history, political and legal documents and Chinese-English translation.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>