- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thesis title: Concepts of 'honour' in Islam and Muslim communities, and their impact on Muslim women: perceptions, praxis and new modalities.
- Supervisor: Dr Fozia Bora, Dr Mustapha Sheikh, Dr Tajul Islam
I completed my BA Islamic Studies and MA Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Leeds. I am now a part-time PhD researcher in the Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies department.
In my research, I intend to critically examine and ultimately reconceptualise the notion of honour within Islam and Muslim communities through a multivalent scrutiny of how 'honour' is inscribed through the history of both normative and folk Islam, within scripture and Islamic jurisprudence and in lived experiences of Muslim women. Reconceptualising honour within Islam creates room for reconsideration of religious rulings motivated by gender-specific notions of honour. The impact of these upon constructions of the 'ideal Muslim woman', within both religious literature and attitudes and behaviours within Muslim communities, will be examined.
- MA Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- BA Islamic Studies
Research groups and institutes
- Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies