Imagining Women’s Home-Work: History, Photography, Activism
- Date: Tuesday 15 January 2019, 17:30 – 19:30
- Location: Treasures of the Brotherton
- Cost: Free
Discover how history and photography can bring women’s past working lives to life.
This free event accompanies the exhibition These Four Walls: A Secret History of Women Home-Workers.
The curators of These Four Walls, photographer Leonora Saunders and historian Dr Helen McCarthy, will be in conversation with Dr Laura King.
They will ask questions such as:
- How can we recover and represent the hidden histories of women’s waged labour in the home?
- Was home-work emancipatory for women, or a mark of their inferior position in the labour market?
- Can a visual medium like photography start new conversations about the past, present and future?
- Can it help to challenge the inequalities which continue to hold women back in 21st century Britain?