- Position: Lecturer and Digital Education Specialist
- Areas of expertise: Moral Philosophy; Political Philosophy
- Email: C.Nick@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9416
- Location: LG.09 17 Blenheim Terrace
I joined the IDEA Centre as a member of staff in 2018. Prior to that I had been a PhD student here since 2015. My thesis “The Problem of Democratic Dirty Hands” examined how we should understand the occurence of moral conflict for public office holders and how we ought to ascribe moral responsibility for the outcomes of such actions in modern democracies. Before coming to Leeds I completed an MPhil in Political Theory at the University of Oxford and a BA in Philosophy and Politics at the University of Manchester.
- School Lead for Inclusive Practice
- School Lead for Digital Education
- School Lead for Academic Integrity
My particular area of research is the problem of dirty hands. As part of this I have touched on a variety of issues in moral, political and legal philosophy such as value pluralism, moral emotions – specifically regret and remorse, individual and collective moral responsibility, representation and democratic theory, punishment, restitution and apologies, and secular theories of evil.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Philosophy, University of Leeds
- MPhil Political Theory, Pembroke College, University of Oxford
- BA (Hons) Philosophy and Politics, University of Manchester
I oversee the delivery of the ethics curriculum for all engineering undergraduate programmes at the Southwest Jiaotong-Leeds Joint School in Chengdu, China. In Leeds I am also the ethics lead for several Centres for Doctoral Training across the Faculty of Engineering as well as for all undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes in the Schools of Civil Engineering and Computing.
My office hours are Tuesday and Thursday 1-2pm.
Research groups and institutes
- Ethics, Culture and Decision-Making
- Leadership Ethics, Persuasion and Public Reason