Dr Ann Gillian Chu
- Position: Visiting Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: sociology of religion, theological ethics, practical theology, ethnography, qualitative research, Hong Kong studies.
- Email: A.G.Chu@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Ann Gillian Chu, PhD | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
For the academic year of 2022-23, I am a Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Leeds, working with Dr Caroline Starkey to explore research opportunities related to religion and religiosity of Chinese in Britain. My home institution is Hong Kong Baptist University, where I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Religion and Philosophy. Alongside my research, I currently serve as the Postgraduate and Early Career Scholar Liaison Officer of the British Sociological Association Sociology of Religion Study Group (SocRel).
I completed my Doctor of Philosophy at the University of St Andrews, and graduated from Regent College in Vancouver, Canada with a Master of Divinity. I am a FCCA (Fellow of Chartered Certified Accountant), and graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a Master of Arts (Honours) in English Language.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Religion and Philosophy, Hong Kong Baptist University
I am interested in exploring Hong Kong Christian communities and their engagement with civic society. My doctoral research explores how Hong Kong (HK) Christians conceptualise (1) democracy, (2) rights, and (3) faith and civic identity in light of protest movements from 2013 onwards. Through an analysis of ethnographic field observations, qualitative primary and secondary interviews, and archival materials from selected published HK theologians and pastors, my doctoral thesis suggests a potential first step for HK Christian communities to understand each other on their ideas of public engagement, grounded in language informed by their faith. This thesis features the lived theology of average, non-clerical HK Christians, making their voices prominent in this research. My current research continues on this investigative trajectory.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of St Andrews (UK)
- Master of Divinity, Regent College (Canada)
- Master of Arts (Honours) English Language, University of Edinburgh (UK)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Advance HE (UK)
- Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (FRAS), Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (UK)
- Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FCPA), Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Hong Kong)
- Fellow of Chartered Certified Accountant (FCCA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (UK)
- Chartered Accountant (CA), Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (UK)
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Accountant (British Columbia) (CPA, CA (BC)), Chartered Professional Accountant Canada (Canada)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Religion and Public Life