Ms Georgia Testa
- Position: Associate Professor (Learning & Teaching) and Director of Student Education
- Areas of expertise: Biomedical ethics; applied ethics; normative ethics
- Email: G.Testa@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3902
- Location: 2.09 Botany House
I joined the University of Leeds in 2005. My main teaching responsibility is to manage the medical ethics and law strand of the curriculum in the undergraduate programme of the School of Medicine. In 2015 I devised the medical ethics and law strand for the Physician Associate programme.
I have taught on the intercalated BA and MA in 'Biomedical and Healthcare Ethics', and devised some of their distance learning modules for the programmes in 'Biomedical and Healthcare Ethics' and 'Applied and Professional Ethics'.
Teaching for Philosophy has included Introduction to Ethics; Environmental Ethics; War, Terror and Justice; and the Ethics of LIfe and Death. I supervise UG and PG dissertations.
I am currently the Director of Student Education (DSE) for the School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science, and previously undertook the role of Deputy DSE. I have also acted as Assessment Officer for the School.
I am a reviewer for the Journal of Applied Philosophy, Bioethics, and the Journal of Medical Ethics.
Since 2008, I have worked with the Institute of Medical Ethics (IME). In 2019, as Chair of their Education Committee, I led the most recent review of the core content of learning for medical ethics and law which is endorsed by the GMC and recommended to all UK medical schools. I am also a Trustee of the IME.
I have been an External Examiner for medical ethics and law for the medical schools of Imperial (London), and Lancaster University.
- Director of Student Education
- Lead for Medical Ethics and Law in School of Medicine
- Applied Ethics
- Biomedical Ethics particularly the ethics of ending life, consent, competence, organ donation, and research ethics
- Normative Ethics
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BA Hons Philosophy from UCL
- BPhil Philosophy from Oxford
- Trustee of the Institute of Medical Ethics (IME)
- Member of the IME's Education Committee
As the lead for the medical ethics and law strand of the undergraduate medical curriculum, I lead a group of tutors and am a member of course management teams in the School of Medicine.
For the School of PRHS, I am the Director of Student Education.
I have previously been Assessment Officer for PRHS.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Aesthetic, Moral and Political Philosophy