I joined PRHS as a White Rose College/AHRC funded PhD researcher in 2017. Taking a multi-sited auto-ethnographic approach, my research explores how UK-based employers are engaging with issues of religion and belief within public, private and voluntary sector workplaces, and the extent to which these engagements support equality, trust and inclusion within and beyond the 'secular' workplace.
My research has emerged directly out of my professional practice, and particularly my ongoing consultancy work which includes a focus on issues of identity and inclusion within education, employment and community settings.
Alongside my PhD I am also a Cumberland Lodge Scholar, a founding member of the Forum on Religion in International Affairs, and an Associate Consultant & Trainer for global law firm Eversheds Sutherland, and interfaith and gender equality charities 3FF, St Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace and Fearless Futures.
- Grayson, D & Walker, T. (2019, forthcoming). Concepts of the Secular [working title]. Soundings Journal.
- Arday, J & Walker, T. (2019, forthcoming). Challenging Dominant Eurocentric Curricula in Education in Arday, J et al. (2019) Educational Philosophy and Theory Special Edition: Race and Social Class in Education (Taylor & Francis Online).
- Walker, T. & Arday, J (2019, forthcoming). Race & Faith in the Social Scientific Study of Religion in M. Peters (ed.) The Springer Encyclopedia of Teacher Education – A Living Referance. USA and Europe: Springer.
My research interests are varied and cover the following areas, from a practitioner-researcher perspective:
- Race & Racism
- Religion & Belief
- Employment, Identity, Working Identities,
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion within Education and Employment
- Mental Health & Wellbeing of BAME students and staff within Higher Education
- Gender & Sexuality
- Social Justice
- Postcolonial, Anti-Racist & Decolonial Theory
- (Black) Feminist Theory
- Qualitative Research Methods
- MSc Education, Power & Social Change, Birkbeck University of London, UK