Dr Jonathan Price
- Position: Lecturer in Creativity and Enterprise
- Areas of expertise: Arts management; cultural leadership; cultural policy; engagement and participation; evaluation
- Email: J.F.R.Price@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
I moved into academia after a career in local government cultural development and freelance roles in arts funding, policy and evaluation. My PhD examined the discourse that has emerged in the past 20 years around the concept of cultural leadership, questioning the relationship between ‘cultural leadership’ and ‘cultural leaders’ and asking who creates the circumstances in which art is produced and culture shaped.
I continue to work extensively as a consultant in the arts nationally and internationally. I regularly act as an expert advisor to European Commission programmes on culture and research and have contributed to a range of policy reports, most recently advising on the development of the Music Moves Europe programme currently being established by the Commission. I have also worked at national level on funding assessments for Creative Scotland and on evaluation for arts organisations in England and Scotland.
My research interests include various aspects of cultural management, governance and leadership as well as the relationship between artists and questions of cultural policy and leadership. Other interests include participation and engagement in the arts, the relationship between the arts and social justice, and the ethical issues surrounding cultural policy and public funding.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD The Discourse of Cultural Leadership (Robert Gordon University)
- MA Cultural Studies (Leeds Metropolitan University)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methods (Robert Gordon University)
- BA (Hons) English Literature (Bangor University)
- European Expert Network on Culture & Audiovisual
- ERICARTS (European Association of Cultural Policy Researchers)
My teaching centres on critical approaches to arts management, governance and leadership, also looking at relevant areas of cultural policy with a global perspective. I also support student learning on research methods.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Cultural Policy