We are committed to supporting you to get the most out of your PhD and that you graduate with excellent career prospects, whether you plan to progress into academia or industry.
Our graduates have gone on to have careers in academia in universities across the world, government research, health industries and media industries.
We offer a variety of professional development seminars throughout the year, and your supervisor will provide you with guidance about intellectual skills and the intricacies of the academic job market.
You'll be able to attend our research seminars and teaching opportunities may be available which provide a chance to share your expertise with our undergraduates.
Developing personal and professional skills is an important part of your postgraduate research degree. You'll have access to a wide range of opportunities at the University of Leeds including:
- Mock interviews, CV workshops and more with the Careers Centre
- Support for start-ups and social enterprises with Student Enterprise
- Jobs, volunteering and skills development with Leeds University Union
- Academic skills workshops, events and resources with Researcher@Library
- Events, support, and presentation opportunities with Leeds Doctoral College
- Courses, workshops, and mentoring with Organisational Development and Professional Learning
- Creative professional collaborations with Leeds Creative Labs
- Training, funding, and collaborations with the White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities
- Short-term Postdoctoral Fellowships with the Leeds Humanities Research Institute
Christiaan De Beukelaer PhD Media and Communication
"The School of Media and Communication organised a range of seminars that helped us navigate the ins and outs of academic life, through sessions on publishing, applying for jobs, etc. These moments, alongside the opportunity to sit in on research presentations of job candidates, were invaluable when looking for jobs later down the track."View Profile