Dr Hassan Mizori, MCIL CL
In 2021, I joined the staff at the University of Leeds, teaching Masters students on the module Specialised Translation, having been a Visiting Research Fellow here since September 2017, a post I took up after obtaining my Ph.D. from the university in May 2017.
Before my Ph.D., I worked for over a decade as an interpreter, sworn translator, and lexicographer primarily in the Netherlands. I continue to work as a sworn translator and court and police interpreter.
I co-edited the Dutch<>Arabic Dictionary Arabisch-Nederlands Woordenboek and the Oxford English<>Arabic Dictionary.
In 2020 I created my own YouTube channel, Research, an A-Z Guide providing research tips in Arabic and informal mentoring for my viewers.
I speak fluent English, Dutch, Middle Eastern & Sudanese Arabic and both Kurmanji and Bahdini Kurdish.
- • Teaching the Masters module Specialised Translation.
- • Working on my monograph, titled: Interpreting as sense-making: A Linguistic-Ethnograph Case Study.
- • Researcher in Intercultural communication/interpreting
I am interested in communication in interpreter-mediated encounters in immigration settings. I focus on how interlocutors understand each other during such encounters and thereby investigate the sense-making processes constituting communication. I specialize in complementing the investigation of the meeting recordings by utilising post-event semi-structured interviews with both the interpreter and the client so I can examine both the reasons for translation choices, and the effect these have on client understanding of the situation. In my forthcoming monograph (mentioned above), I present an improved approach to studying interpreter-mediated encounters.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- • Doctor of Philosophy in Interpreting and Translation Studies
- • Postgraduate degree in legal interpreting in criminal cases
- • Bachelor in Translation
- • BA English Language and Literature
- • Chartered Institute of Linguists
- • International Association of Translation and Intercultural Studies (IATIS)
- • Critical Link International
- • Member of Bureau Wbtv (official Dutch Quality Register of the Dutch Ministry of Justice
- • Foundation of Court Interpreters and Legal Translators (ISGV) – since 2002
- • Netherlands Association of Interpreters and Translators (NGTV) – between 2002-2010
- • Iraqi Translators Association