- Position: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- Areas of expertise: English for Academic Purposes; EAP in Design; academic language and literacies; academic writing; materials development; EFL text-book writing.
- Email: C.Maxwell@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1799
I joined the University of Leeds in 2011 as a Lecturer in EAP in the Language Centre, where I have taught on pre-sessional, in-sessional and International Foundation Year modules aimed at preparing students for study across a variety of disciplines. I have led the International Foundation Year Academic Study Skills module and summer pre-sessional modules for TPG students progressing onto Business and Management, and Arts and Humanities programmes. I am currently seconded to the School of Design, where I am insessional module leader, responsible for the design and delivery of in-sessional courses to taught post-graduate students.
Prior to joining the university I taught English as a Foreign Language in Italy, and subsequently worked in sales and marketing in the Italian office of a leading UK-based ELT publisher. I have considerable experience of text-book writing for publishers including OUP, CUP and Pearson Education. I have written and contributed to a number of EFL coursebooks widely adopted in Italian state secondary schools.
- Module Leader for In-sessional in School of Design
I am particularly interested in EAP in the Creative Arts, with a particular focus on academic writing in Design. I am currently exploring the nature of student assessment genres in the discipline of design, with a particular focus on ‘hybrid’ genres that incorporate both academic and professional features.
I am also currently engaged in a project exploring the impact of embedded discipline-specific in-sessional provision on students and staff.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PG Cert English for Academic Purposes (University of Leicester)
- Professional Certificate of Management (Chartered Institute of Marketing, Maidenhead)
- Cambridge CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults)
- BA Italian with English (University of Leeds)
- BALEAP Creative Arts SIG committee member
- BALEAP Academic Literacies SIG
I am currently responsible for the design and delivery of in-sessional courses to taught postgraduate students in the School of Design. I also teach on content-based summer pre-sessional modules run by the Language Centre.
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre