Alison Leslie SFHEA
- Position: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- Areas of expertise: English for Academic Purposes; academic skills development; language learning; inclusive teaching practice; interculturality; education for social justice; global citizenship education.
- Email: A.S.Leslie@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0418
- Location: 3.18 Parkinson
- Website: LinkedIn
I joined the University of Leeds in 2008 to study for a Masters in International Development in Education and to continue my teaching career in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies. I have worked as a teacher, teacher trainer, external examiner and youth mentor in a variety of state, private and charitable education settings in the UK, China, Namibia, France, Italy and Greece.
- Module Leader
I am an active practitioner in ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), EAP (English for Academic Purposes) and global education. My scholarship interests are academic literacies, student engagement, identity and sense of belonging, diversity and inclusivity, interculturality and internationalisation. I am currently collaborating on a research project (2022-2025) ‘Stepping Up, Standing Out: Supporting international PGTs to make the most of their year in Leeds’ with the Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence.
Networks I am actively involved in include the Centre for Excellence in Language Teaching (CELT) at the University of Leeds and the British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MA International Development in Education
- MA Applied Linguistics in English Language Teaching
- RSA Diploma English Language Teaching for Adults
- BA European Languages and Institutions
Since 2018 I have been seconded to the School of Sociology and Social Policy to lead their pre- and in-sessional provision, supporting students with the development of the academic language and literacies needed to learn successfully in their discipline. I also lead and deliver the Horizon Study Abroad compulsory module in intercultural communication and global citizenship.
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre