- Position: Lecturer in EAP
- Areas of expertise: Second language learning and teaching; English for Academic Purposes (EAP) pre- and in-sessional (specifically for Business and Mathematics); EAP course design; pedagogical linguistics; Esperanto
- Email: D.E.A.Kirkham@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8122
- Location: 3.27 Parkinson Building
I came to Leeds in 2009 after teaching English in the UK, continental Europe, Africa and Asia. I have since been invovled in a variety of English language teaching activity, latterly in course design and course leadership roles. Since 2010, I have tutored on a number of Lingusitics undergraduate modules.
- In-sessional EAP tutor for the School of Maths
- Summer pre-sessional co-lead
- Linguistics tutor
Colloquial/ everyday English and its place in both ‘General English’ language teaching and English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
Pedagogical linguistics, specifically the application of relevant lingusitic concepts (phonological, morpho-syntactic, semantic) to second language teaching.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics 1998 (Class I)
- MA Syntax and Semantics, 1999 (Distinction)
- Cambridge ESOL Celta, 2003
- Cambridge ESOL Delta, 2005
Within the Language Centre, I am involved with in-sessional and pre-sessional delivery: in-sessional delviery within the School of Mathematics in Semesters 1 and 2; leadership responsibilities during the summer pre-sessional. Within Lingustics and Phonetics I work on a number of UG modules.
Research groups and institutes
- Linguistics and Phonetics
- Language Centre