Since joining the University of Leeds in 2014 I have taught undergraduates and postgraduates on a variety of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programmes at the Language Centre.
I was programme designer and leader for Language for Business Management and Enterprise from 2016–2018; a programme which prepared students for postgraduate study at Leeds University Business School, School of Civil Engineering, School of Design and School of Music.
My current role is divided between the School of Music and the Language Centre. I am module leader for an English for Specific Academic Purposes programme for postgraduate students in the School of Music and I teach on general EAP programmes for postgraduate students in the Language Centre.
Before 2014 I was involved in teaching as an English language teacher, English for Specific Purposes teacher and secondary school teacher in many different contexts in the UK and Italy.
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) lecturer
- Module leader for Academic Language for Music
My scholarship interests include curriculum design, particularly in the field English for Specific Academic Purposes; the impact of bespoke EAP (in-sessional) provision, specifically in the School of Music; and academic reading competency.
- Hulme, A. 2021. Uncovering the principles behind EAP design: Do we do what we say we’re going to do? ESP Today. 9(2), pp. 206–228.
- Hulme, A. and Montgomery, S. 2018. Developing new scholarly practices in an EAP environment. British Association of Applied Linguists and Cambridge University Press seminar, Blowing away the dust: Illuminating the value of practitioner research in applied linguistics, 8 April 2018, Leeds.
- Hulme, A and Maxwell, C. 2019. Dare we ditch the essay? Using student genres to identify and target discipline-specific needs. Language Centre Summer Conference, Connecting the dots: Exploring diverse perspectives in language teaching and learning, 2 August 2019, Leeds.
- Hulme, A. 2020. The synchronous online classroom: exploring its potential for providing speaking practice. Language Centre Summer Conference, The 3 “I”s: Integration, Internationalisation and the Individual, 17–21 August 2020, Leeds.
- Hulme, A. 2021. Principles underpinning an EAP programme designed in collaboration with subject departments. BALEAP Professional Issues Meeting, Integration: We’re all in this together, 27 March 2021, Newcastle.
- Fellow of Higher Education Authority (FHEA)
- Delta (Diploma in teaching English to adults)
- PGCE in Secondary Education, specialising in English and Drama (University of Manchester)
- Cambridge ESOL and RSA CTEFLA (Certificate of Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults)
- BA English Language and Literature (University of Liverpool)
I am module leader for English for Specific Academic Purposes (Academic language for music) for taught postgraduate students in the School of Music. I also teach general and specific EAP to postgraduate students in preparation for Masters study across the University.