Ms Pippa Dearns
- Position: Teaching Fellow in EAP and Translation Studies
- Areas of expertise: EAP; translation Italian to English; translation Spanish to English; corpus linguistics; writing for professional purposes; second language acquisition
- Email: P.J.Dearns@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5968
- Website: Dearns and Browne Translations | Chartered Institute of Linguists | Twitter | LinkedIn
I have a BA in Spanish and Italian (2002) and an MA in Applied Translation Studies (2011) from the University of Leeds. I also hold a PGCert in Teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) (2014) from the University of Leicester.
I have extensive experience of teaching EAP in the UK and Italy. I currently teach on EAP modules in the Language Centre and on PG and UG translation modules in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies. I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists for translation and education, a Chartered Linguist committed to continuing professional development and act as a mentor through the institute's mentoring platform.
I also translate professionally from Spanish and Italian to English, specialising in the medical and pharmaceutical sectors: https://www.dearnsandbrowne.co.uk/en/
I am interested in translation studies research, more specifically: second language acquisition and the application of corpora and MT in translation. I am also interested in the international student experience and the importance of UG transition in HE.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PGCert Teaching English for Academic Purposes, University of Leicester
- MA Applied Translation Studies, University of Leeds
- BA Spanish and Italian, University of Leeds
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists for Education and Translation
- Chartered Linguist
I teach on EAP modules in the Language Centre and UG and PG modules on translation in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies.
Research groups and institutes
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American