Dr Katie Hodgkinson
- Position: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow & Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Education; Peacebuilding; International Development; Education in Conflict; Education for Global Development; Participatory Arts and Non-Formal Education
- Email: K.A.Hodgkinson@leeds.ac.uk
Based in the School of Politics and International Studies and the School of Languages, Cultures, and Socieites, my work focuses on interdisciplinary and youth-led approaches to education, post-conflict society, and international development. My research examines the role of youth engement in formal and non-formal education for social justice and peacebuilding in conflict-affected contexts. At the University of Leeds, this work has been situated within “Changing the Story” – a Global Challenges Research Fund project that examines how the participatory arts can support youth-centred approaches to civil society building in 12 countries living with the legacy of conflict. I similarly teach in the field of Education and International Development, and am Module Leader for the Education in Emergencies MA module.
Prior to joining the University of Leeds, I worked in the Department of Governance and Inclusive Development at the University of Amsterdam on both large and small-scale research and development projects. This included “Her Choice”, a Netherlands Ministiry of Foreign Affairs Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) alliance that worked with partners in 10 countries, and a project comissioned by SOS Children’s Villages into the social exclusion of vulnerable youth in care.
- Module Leader Education in Emergencies
- PhD Education, Participatory Arts and International Development
- MSc International Development
- BSc(Econ) European Politics and International Relations
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy