- Position: Lecturer in EAP (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Areas of expertise: Teaching English for Academic Purposes; materials and assessment development; teaching and assessment for International Foundation Year
- Email: N.A.Woods@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2375
- Location: Room 3.11, Level 3 Parkinson Building
During my career I have taught English as a Foreign Language, English for Specific Purposes and English for Academic Purposes in a variety of contexts in the UK and internationally (Greece, Italy and China) including classes of primary age students, private 1-2-1 clients through to university students from pre-undergraduate through to Masters level.
I began working in Leeds in 2007 on the summer Business pre-sessional programme and since then I have worked continuously on the International Foundation Year programme as module lead for the earlier generic Academic Study Skills module and since 2016 as lead for the newly designed Academic Study Skills for Dentistry, Medicine and Healthcare Professions and Academic Skills for Nursing modules. This year (2023) I became the first EAP tutor to work as an in-sessional tutor in the School of Psychology.
- Year round module lead
- Insessional Lead for Academic Language for Psychology
I recently (2022) co-wrote a book designed to aid those teaching on or leading EAP modules on a Foundation Year Programme Teaching International Foundation Year: A Practical Guide for EAP Practitioners in HIgher and Further Education.
My research interests tend to lie within the area of materials and assessment development for Foundation Year study skills modules and I have recently presented on the topics of inclusivity, unconscious bias and materials development for foundation year cohorts who will be moving into the healthcare field.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BA Combined Hons in Modern Greek and East Mediterranean History
- Trinity College certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Cambridge DELTA Diploma (Distinction in written work)
- MA English Language Teaching (Distinction)
- Higher Education Authority Fellow (FHEA)
I am involved in in-sessional and foundation year delivery througout the year. During the summer I teach on, and sometimes lead, pre-sessional programmes.
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre