Dr Milada (Millie) Walkova
Since I joined the University of Leeds in 2018, I have been teaching on a variety of pre-sessional courses of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for postgraduate researchers and undergraduate and postgraduate students. I am now involved in the development of the MA programme in Teaching English for Academic Purposes (Text Analysis, CPD and Scholarship, and Dissertation/Portfolio modules). I previously taught EAP, English for Specific Purposes (Engineering, Computer Science, and International Tourism) and General English in Slovakia.
I am an active scholar and I encourage scholarship in EAP. I have served on the editorial board of several journals – the Language Scholar (2019-2023), ESP Today (2023-) and Ostrava Journal of English Philology (2021-). More recently, I have become the Administrator of the Critical Friend Network Initiative as part of the BALEAP Research and Publications sub-committee.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the area of linguistic approaches to written academic texts.
- Module Leader of pre-sessionals for PGRs
- Various aspects of academic writing, with an upcoming book Teaching Academic Writing for EAP: Language Foundations for Practitioners (August 2024, Bloomsbury)
- Linguistic approaches to EAP, with an upcoming edited volume Linguistic approaches in EAP: Expanding the discourse (December 2023, Bloomsbury)
- Scholarship of EAP
- EAP teaching materials development
- PhD in English Linguistics
- DELTA Cambridge, with specialism in English for Academic Purposes
- HEA Fellow
- MA in British and American Studies, with thesis in English for Academic Purposes
- PG Cert in English Language Teaching
- BALEAP SIG Doctoral Education