Axel E. W. Müller
- Position: Congress Director
- Areas of expertise: Origins of firepower; Late medieval fields of conflict, the reception of the Middle Ages from the 18th century to the present day (in heritage industries, film, TV, fiction and everyday life).
- Email: A.Muller@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3614
- Location: 1.03 Parkinson Building
The reception of the Middle Ages in the 18th and 19th Century; modern approaches to the Middle Ages, Heritage and Public History; study of the past by non-university experts (in the heritage industries, civic trusts, museums, libraries, archives); presentation of the past to different audiences (museum, film, television, historical fiction, everyday life), origins of firepower in Western Europe; Late medieval fields of conflict.
Survey of Medieval Studies in the UK, a project on origins of firepower, looking at the later medieval development of artillery and explosives, its uses and contributions to changes in society in the 15th century, a reconstruction project on early gunpowder artillery, and a study on the public perception of the medieval period and the motivating factors which encourage individuals to pursue further study in the fields of Medieval Studies.
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society
- General Editor, International Medieval Research Series
- Editorial Board Member, Medieval Battlefield Series
- External Expert Advisory Board Member, CENDARI - Collaborative European Digital Archive Infrastructure
- Advisory Board Member, Forschungstelle für Vergleichende Ordensgeschichte, Katholische Universität Eichstätt (FOVOG)
- Advisory Board Member, International Medieval Meeting Lleida (IMMLleida), Consolidated Medieval Studies Research Group, Universitat de Lleida
- Member of Co-operative for the Advancement of Research through a Medieval European Network (CARMEN)
- Corresponding Member, Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Mittelalterstudien, Universität Salzburg
- Member of the Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society (currently chair of Medieval Section)
- Member of the Leeds Philosophical & Literary Society
- Member of the International Arthurian Society
- Member of the Historical Association