Call for papers: 'Reading' Caribbean In/securities for Creativity
This one-day interdisciplinary conference welcomes abstracts from postgraduates at various stages of their research, whose works concern any aspect of Caribbean in/securities and creativity.
The CARISCC network of researchers intend this to be an opportunity for postgraduate research delegates to share and receive feedback on their work in a friendly and informal setting. Panels will be organised once abstracts are received and accepted for the conference.
The following topics, by no means exhaustive, will be taken into consideration:
- Creativity in negotiating livelihood in/securities;
- Historical and contemporary in/securities and creativities;
- In/secure transport(s) and mobilities;
- In/security in visual and performance arts;
- Reading and writing in/security;
- Raced, gendered and sexual identities, in/security and creativity; and
- Rural and urban in/securities and creativities.
Relevant papers not specifically addressing these themes are also welcome. In addition to paper panels, the conference intends to offer:
- 10 travel bursaries of up to £100 each to support attendance (applicants must be PhD candidates, and preference will be given to those travelling from abroad);
- A keynote panel by CARISCC Network Members;
- A welcome address from Dr Anyaa Anim-Addo (CARISCC Network Member and PGR Conference Convener) and Dr Pat Noxolo (Chair of the Society for Caribbean Studies, and Principal Investigator of CARISCC);
- Refreshments and lunch.
This conference is free to attend. However, if you are not presenting but intend to attend, please let us know for catering purposes. It has been organised in the spirit of the 2016 postgraduate conference. As Caribbean postgraduates are often dispersed across departments and universities, this event hopes to offer delegates an opportunity to discuss their work and meet with others who share their interests, in order to foster ties that will endure throughout their studies.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
Please send abstracts of 200-300 words (in English) to both Dr Anyaa Anim-Addo (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr Patricia Noxolo (email@example.com), using the subject heading “2nd CARISCC Postgraduate Conference.” Please include your university affiliation details, your preferred email address and a short biography of up to 150 words. It is anticipated that abstract presentations will last 10-15 minutes; conference programme details will be released prior to the conference to confirm presentation requirements and duration.
If you would like to apply for a travel bursary, please attach, with your abstract, a short statement (no more than 300 words) on the relevance of the postgraduate conference theme to your research, the reasons why you need a bursary to attend, as well as your estimated expenses.
Submission Deadline and Key Dates
- Abstract submission deadline: Monday, 12th December, 2016.
- Notification of abstract acceptance: Monday, 16th January, 2017.
- Abstracts published online: Wednesday, 18th January, 2017.
- Pre-conference online event: Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 4-5pm.
For further information and details about submitting a proposal please click here.