Dr Jade French
- Position: Visiting Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Museums, Galleries & Heritage; Curating; Inclusive & Participatory Art; Participatory Action-Research; Arts Facilitation
- Email: J.French2@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 3.05 School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies
- Website: Portfolio | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I am a museum professional and practice-led researcher whose research interests emerge from practical experience of running inclusive and community-led projects in museums and galleries. My research broadly examines curatorial and museological practices in the arts and the evolution of the relationship between museums and communities, and over the past two years this has focussed on devising applied methods to enable public participation in the shaping of exhibitions, collections and artist commissions. I have particular expertise in collaborating with learning disabled people within the cultural sector, underpinned by experience in disability advocacy and social care roles.
I was appointed a Visiting Research Fellow in the School of Fine Art, History art and Cultural Studies where I am teaching and writing a monograph for Arc Humanities Press titled 'Inclusive Curating in Contemporary Art: A Practical Guide', due for release in July 2020. In addition to my academic work, I am Community Engagement Coordinator at Catalyst Science Discovery Centre and Museum working on a Wellcome Trust funded project that focuses on developing the civic role of the museum in a location identified as in the 5% most deprived areas nationally. I have undertaken independent research evaluations and reporting for organisations such as DASH, Artlink and Hull City of Culture 2017 and in 2018 I undertook The Firestation Artist Studio's International Curator Residency in Dublin, Ireland.
- Inclusive, participatory and community-led approaches to curating, programming and collections development
- Community engagement in museums and galleries
- Inclusive and participatory art
- Disability, access and diversity in museums, galleries and heritage
- Art, museums and social justice
- Museum ethics
- Zines and DIY culture
- Action, participation and practice-led research methods
- PhD Curating
- MA Inclusive Arts Practice
- BA Photography
- Museums Association
- Association of Critical Heritage Studies
I teach and supervise dissertations across the MA Art Gallery and Museum Studies, MA Arts Management and Heritage Studies and BA History of Art and Museum Studies.