A Celebration of Ken Smith (1938-2003)
- Date: Friday 9 November 2018, 15:00 – 19:15
- Location: Brotherton Library
- Cost: Free
On Friday November 9 we are celebrating the work of poet Ken Smith (1938-2003) who had a long association with the University, including his time here as an undergraduate and as Yorkshire Arts Fellow.
Join us for a celebration of the life and work of poet Ken Smith. There will be an exhibition of materials from the Ken Smith Archive in the Brotherton Library curated by Sarah Prescott, Ruth Burton and Naomi Popple, the showing of a new film of Ken Smith created by Neil Astley, and talks and/or readings by Judi Benson, Neil Astley, Vahni Capildeo, David Crystal, Tim Cumming, Ian Duhig, Steve Ely, John Goodby, Elaine Glover, Jon Glover, Helen Mort, Colin Raw, and others.
3.15- 4.15pm Three Papers
- John Goodby, ‘”Almost”: Mainstream, Margins, and Masculinity in Ken Smith’
- Tim Cumming, ‘Over the Borderline’
- Colin Raw, ‘Escaping into the Open: the Poetry of Ken Smith’
4.30-5.30 new film about Ken Smith made and presented by Neil Astley
5.30 -7.15 readings