Professor Yu Shi FIMMM, CEng
- Position: Chair of Textiles Innovation & Smart Composite Materials
- Areas of expertise: Smart composite materials; Failure assessment of composite; Structural health monitoring; Smart Garment; Printed electronics; Energy harvesting; Welding of polymer composite; Computational modelling
- Email: Y.Shi2@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 3.07 Clothworkers' South Building
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
I received my PhD from University of Sheffield between 2010 and 2013 for failure prediction of composite materials used for aerospace. I then started my research career as postdoctoral researcher at University of Sheffield, University Exter and AFRC, University of Strathclyde. I became lecture at University of Chester since 2015 and I was promoted to Professor since 2019. I built the smart composite materials research group with a number of grants awarded by Innovate UK, DASA and EU commissions. I supervised 7 PhD students with postdoctoral researchers and visiting postgraduate researchers from France, China and Japan etc.Since joining UoC, I have successfully secured external funding for many projects (total approx. £8M) in his role of PIs and Co-Is from EPSRC, Innovate UK, DASA, EU Commission, Leverhulme Trust and industrially direct investment. I moved to University of Leeds on 05/2023 as Chair of Textile Innovation and Smart Composite Materials appointed by Leeds Institute of Textiles and Colouring (LITAC), School of Design, by carrying on my research on smart composite materials with embedded electronics for engineering applications (e.g. Aerospace, Automotive, Wind & Hydrogen energy etc.) and wearables for healthcare and ecology (e.g. wildlife, farming).
I am the Fellow of Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (FIMMM), Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Fellow of HEA (FHEA).
I have reviewed papers for various journals and associate editor for composites and advanced materials. Our work presented by Poweremes 2019 has been awarded by the “Best Poster Prize”. Our research funded work and collaboration on smarrt composite materials and manufacturing and assembly (completed) are:
- 2021–2022, PI, REMASTER, Innovate UK, Clean maritime competition: £260k;
- 2020–2021, PI, DASA - Windfarm mitigation for UK Air Defence: £63k;
- 2020–2021, PI, Innovate UK - Tackling non-exhaust and non-road vehicle air pollution: phase 2 SBRI: £1.5M;
- 2019-2019, PI, Innovate UK - Tackling non-exhaust and non-road vehicle air pollution: phase 1 SBRI: £50k;
- 2017–2019, PI, SmartBlade, Innovate UK grant, Jiangsu-UK Industrial Challenge: £500k
My research focuses on the development of smart/multifunctional composite materials with printed electronics embedded, including engineering materaisl such as carbon/glass fibre reinforced composite and textile materials, e.g. garment. More specifically, I am interested in smart composite structure, welding and recycling of composite, damage assessment of composite, finite element modelling, nanocomposite, energy harvesting, structural health monitoring, inkjet/screen printing, cutting and drilling of composite, Ice detection and Deicing, conformal antenna and communication for future lightweight and sustainable applications on electric/hydrogen aircraft, automotive, rail vehicles, space, renewable (wind and hydrogen) energies, buildings, infrastructures.
I am also the PIs for the funded projects to develop smart textile wearables for healthcare, such as mental health monitoring, prosthetcis and musculoskeletal issues, and for animals’ monitoring for ecology.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Leadership and Management in Higher Education - Postgraduate Diploma (L7)