Professor Pammi Sinha
- Position: Professor of Fashion Management
- Areas of expertise: Fashion industry; sustainable fashion; fashion design process; design management; creativity; remanufacture
- Email: P.K.Sinha@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.66 Clothworkers Central
I joined the University of Leeds in 2014. My background is fashion design. A PhD studentship at the University of Salford enabled me to examine the fashion design process across differing market levels in the UK women's wear sector. On completion, in 2000, I joined UMIST (now the University of Manchester) to become Programme Director for the BSc (Hons) Fashion and Textile Retailing, followed by the University of Huddersfield as Subject Leader and Reader (2010-2014).
A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and Fellow of the Textile Institute, I have taught the following areas: the structure of the fashion industry, design and innovation management, team working, fashion illustration and pattern cutting software (Lectra ), trend forecasting and fashion design.
I have been an external examiner and advisor for various institutes at BA, MA, PhD levels. I have also advised and been a consultant for fashion and textiles design issues and training for the Creative Industries Development Services/Manchester City Council, Tanzania Gatsby Trust (part of Sainsburys Charitable Foundation) and DEFRA (in the Clothing Roadmap). My research interests span three interconnected areas:
- examination of the design process,
- the interface between design and technology, and
- how design can contribute to sustainable development within a developing economy and the global dimensions of managing textiles and clothing that have reached their end of life.
Common to these apparently disparate areas is the application of creative thinking and adaptation of design practice and processes to particular contexts. The interest in creativity encompassed hand crafted skills and the social, economic and supply chain implications for developing economies.
- Head of Faculty Graduate School
- PhD (A Comparative Study of Fashion Design Processes in UK Womenswear Manufacturing Companies)
- MA Textiles and Fashion
- BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy
- CTextFTI - Fellow of The Textile Institute