Dr Hughie Brown
- Position: Lecturer in Cultural and Creative Industries
- Areas of expertise: Cultural Economics; Global Creative Industries; Creative Industries; creative practice; managing creativity; music industry; journalism; publishing; digital media; songwriting
- Email: H.Brown1@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Longing for the day | QUT ePrints | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds from Australia in October 2022.
In Australia I researched and taught at several institutes of higher education across topics including creative industries, politics, ethics, business, and communication. My PhD (awarded in 2011 from QUT’s Creative Industries Faculty) investigated the business models available to self-publishing creatives using 21st century technologies and i contnue to research best practice in building self-publishing music careers.
in 2018 I spoke at TEDx QUT about the importance of development the cultural industries from the grass-roots up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_QvY9C1JDY&t=4s
I am passionate about supporting grassroots cultural practices, particularly music. I was Brisbane Regional Coordinator for the Australian Songwriters Association from 2013-2020 and placed in the finals of the Australian Songwriting Contest. I also founded Magpie Studios in Armidale to help develop emerging local songwriters and musicians.
- Program Manager, BA Global Creative Industries
My research interests centre on the the value(s) of culture, especially with reference to creativity. Adopting a Cultural Economics perspective, I am working towards a Unified heory on the Value of Culture: what it is, how it works, and why it matters. My current research specifically looking at four things (in order of increasing specificity):
- The value(s) of culture and creativity
- The practice(s) and management of creativity
- The music industry – especially self-publishing musicians
- Songwriting as a means to professional and creative development
- PhD (QUT)
- University Medal (Journalism, UQ)
- BA (Hons 1) in Journalism (UQ)
- Nashville Songwriters Association International
- Australian Songwriters Association
- Association of Cultural Economists International
I am Programme Manager for the Bachelor of Global Creative Industries.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://phd.leeds.ac.uk">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>