Dr Ewan Stefani
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Electronic music; composition; synthesizer musicology; synthesizer performance practice; free improvisation; computer music; soundscape; sound diffusion; acoustic ecology; audiovisual; sonic art
- Email: E.J.Stefani@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2605
- Location: 1.08 12 Cavendish Road
- Website: Ewan Stefani (bandcamp) | Ewan Stefani (Soundcloud) | ORCID
My research interests lie in all forms of electronic music, free improvised music, and sound studies. I lecture in the areas of electronic/computer music, analogue synthesizer ensemble, composition, and applied music technology.
Currently, I am undertaking research into the specific musical and technical issues that arise from the use of analogue synthesizers in contemporary musical practice.
I direct the Leeds Analogue Synthesizer Ensemble, and I run projects with the Recon community-based synthesizer ensemble.
As a composer and performer I have released a variety of collaborative and solo works that have been performed on BBC Radio 3 and at various national and international events.
My fixed-medium compositions are either computer-based acousmatic works or made to be performed with video, exploring audio-visual interactions.
I direct the Centre for Practice Research in the Arts (CePRA) based at the University of Leeds.
- Director, Centre for Practice Research in the Arts
- UCU representative for Music
- Practice-based research, including collaborative practice
- The use of synthesizers in contemporary musical practice
- Composing for analogue synthesizer ensembles
- Multi-channel and site-specific sound installations
- Computer music composition
- Audiovisual compositions
- Free improvisation, particularly using electronic instruments
- Sound in space and acousmatic sound theatre
- Applied analogue and digital music technology
- Applications of cognitive neuroscience research
- Experimental audiovisual performance practice
- Investigation of computer hardware and technology as musical instruments
- Sonic arts communities
- LLCM; ALCM
- Sound and Music
- Sonic Arts Forum
- Composition (all levels);
- MA Electronic & Computer Music Practice / Portfolio modules
- Leeds Analogue Synthesizer Ensemble (music in practice)
- Music Technology (all levels)
- Applied Project
Research groups and institutes
- Making Music
- Music, Science and Technology