- Position: TPG Coordinator and MA Music Management Programme Director. Lecturer in Music Management.
- Areas of expertise: Classical and popular music business, live music industries management, music marketing, immersive technologies, cultural branding, vocal music, music publishing business, history of music business
- Email: S.G.Cobeanu@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8213
- Location: 2.16 Music
I am a specialist in concert promotion and management, arts programming and international events management, audience development and cultural marketing with 20+ years of experience at managerial level. I worked both as a classical music curator and popular music promoter, designing, promoting and managing hundreds of concerts and recitals with world-class choirs, orchestras and soloists, as well as concerts with pop-rock bands and jazz acts. I had the chance to work right from the start as a young independent promoter with overall responsibilities on large scale classical music management projects commissioned by private, charity and public sector high profile organisations, which led in time to an international career in classical music concert promotion and management.
I hold a BMus in Vocal Performance (major in Oratorio and Opera) and I have sung professionally as a bass-baritone soloist with various early music ensembles, professional choirs and orchestras; I am a specialist in sacred lied and sacred music repertoire for cantors. I progressed my education with an MSc in Arts Events Management and I am studying towards a PhD with a topic related to music marketing. As a university lecturer, I previously taught Cultural Marketing and Creative Brands at the University of Sheffield, and Events Management and Tourism at Sheffield Hallam University.
I have an in-depth understanding and a comprehensive working knowledge of each and every aspect of live music management and promotion. Over the past few years, I have focused on arts advocacy and arts audience development projects, reaching out to new audiences for classical music, promoting ensembles and artists such as the The Tallis Scholars, The Choir of King’s College - Cambridge, The Sixteen, The Hilliard Ensemble, The King’s Singers, Olivier Latry, and other similar artists in areas that are not traditionally on the classical music circuit map.
I asssist the Leeds International Piano Competition
I act as an Arts and Education consultant for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution – the RNLI, and I assist various Leeds-based organisations (Leeds Lieder, Jazz Leeds and Leeds International Piano Competition, etc.) as an academic consultant on marketing, branding and audience development matters.
Outside of academia, I am an enthusiastic boater and I love everything maritime.
- TPG Coordinator
- Programme Director Music Management MA
- Industrial Advisory Board Chair
- concert and cultural events promotion
- arts marketing
- immersive technologies (360 livestreaming and XR)
- branding theory in the arts context
- cross genre collaborative projects
- PGCAP Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- MSc Arts Events Management
- BMus Vocal Performance
- Fellow of the HEA
- Michael Beverley Innovation Fellow
- International Music Business Research Association
- Member of the Music & Entertainment Industry Educators Association
- MAM - Member of the Academy of Marketing
- Royal Society of Musicians
- Royal Yachting Association
My teaching and project supervision is predominantly within the areas of live music business, music management, music marketing and performance, and features a broad range of practical and theoretical perspectives.
Research groups and institutes
- Music as Culture