- Position: Lecturer in Music Management
- Areas of expertise: Classical music business, music marketing, live music industries management, cultural branding, music publishing business, history of music business
- Email: S.G.Cobeanu@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8213
- Location: 1.06 Music
I am a specialist in concert promotion and management, arts programming and international events management, audience development and cultural marketing with 15+ years of experience at managerial level. I worked both as a classical music curator and popular music promoter, designing, promoting and managing hundreds of concerts and recitals with world-class choirs, orchestras and soloists, as well as concerts with pop-rock bands and jazz acts. I had the chance to work right from the start as a young independent promoter with overall responsibilities on large scale classical music management projects commissioned by private, charity and public sector high profile organisations, which led in time to an international career in classical music concert promotion and management.
I hold a BMus in Vocal Performance (major in Oratorio and Opera) and as a performer I have sung professionally with various early music ensembles, professional choirs and independently as a freelance baritone for a number of years. I progressed my education with an MSc in Arts Events Management and I am currently studying towards a PhD with a topic related to music marketing. As a university lecturer, I previously taught Cultural Marketing and Creative Brands at the University of Sheffield, and Events Management and Tourism at Sheffield Hallam University.
I have an in-depth understanding and a comprehensive working knowledge of each and every aspect of live music management and promotion. Over the past few years, I have focused on arts advocacy and arts audience development projects, reaching out to new audiences for classical music, promoting ensembles and artists such as the The Tallis Scholars, The Choir of King’s College - Cambridge, The Sixteen, The Hilliard Ensemble, The King’s Singers, Olivier Latry, and other similar artists in areas that are not traditionally on the classical music circuit map.
I asssist the Leeds International Piano Competition as an academic consultant on marketing, branding and audience development matters.
- MA Music & Management Programme Leader
- BA Music with Enterprise Programme Leader
- Year in Industry Academic Lead
- concert and cultural events promotion
- arts marketing
- branding theory in the arts context
- cross genre collaborative projects
- International Music Business Research Association
- Arts Marketing Association
- Royal Society of Musicians
Research groups and institutes
- Music as Culture