Dr Simon Baines
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Performance practice and studies of national style in performance; student education leadership.
- Email: S.G.Baines@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2587
- Location: 1.05 Music
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2014)
- Pro Dean Student Education, Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures (2016–2020 )
- Pro Dean Student Education, Faculty of Performance, Visual Arts and Communication (2003–2011)
- Director of Research, School of Music (2013–2016)
- Programme Leader BA Music (2013–2016)
- Director of Learning and Teaching, School of Music (1999–2003)
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures Pro Dean Student Education to end of 2019/2020 session
Orchestral performance practice and studies of national style in performance, particularly in the twentieth century (including oral histories, player biography, analysis of recordings); music for big band and associated musicians.
Author of entries including 'National idioms' and 'Orchestra and orchestral placement' for the forthcoming Cambridge Encyclopedia of Historical Performance in Music (eds. Robin Stowell and Colin Lawson).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BA, MSc, PhD, PFHEA
Postgraduate professional studies and research methods, dissertation supervision, music in context, science and music.
Research groups and institutes
- Making Music