Dr Marco Santello
- Position: Lecturer in Intercultural Competence
- Areas of expertise: multilingualism; intercultural communication; intercultural competence
- Email: M.Santello@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 420 Michael Sadler Building
I am an applied linguist with research interests in multilingualism. I gained my BA at the University of Padua and my MA magna cum laude at the Catholic University of Milan. Subsequent to my graduation I lived in Norway, where I was involved in various activities with the Italian Culture Institute of Oslo, and then moved to Canada to work within the Italian community in Toronto. I completed my PhD at the University of Sydney, where I did both quantitative and qualitative research on advertising and bilingualism. Upon my return to Europe I worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Warwick where I did research on multilingualism in Australia. I collaborated with partners such as Monash University (Melbourne), where I have been a visiting scholar, and the Australian Italian Historical Society, looking at how Italian migration to Australia contributes to the constitution of spaces marked by multilingual practices and experiences of transnationality.
My interests revolve around multilingualism, intercultural communication and intercultural competence. I am particularly interested in language and mobility, language and space, changes in linguistic repertoires and pragmatics of code-switching. My work has appeared in a number of journals such as Applied Linguistics, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism and Language in Society as well as volumes.
- Santello, M. 2016. Advertising and Multilingual Repertoires: from Linguistic Resources to Patterns of Response. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon; New York, NY: Routledge.
- Santello, M. 2021. “Popular children’s songs and the display of Italian multilingualism in Australia”. Journal of Multilingual Theories and Practices 2(1): 98–116.
- Moore, E., Santello, M. 2019. "Pragmatics". In Darquennes J., Salmons J., Vandenbussche W. (Eds.) Language Contact: An International Handbook. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton, 136-147.
- Santello, M. 2017. "Quella era veramente è Little Italy, la nostra Little Italy: Multiple Centres, Cultural Presence and the Articulation of Spaces of Speech from Tasmania". Language in Society 46: 207-230.
- Santello, M. 2015. "Advertising to Italian English Bilinguals in Australia: Attitudes and Response to Language Selection". Applied Linguistics 36: 95-120.
- Santello, M. 2015. "Bilingual Idiosyncratic Dimensions of Language Attitudes". International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 18: 1-25.
- Santello, M. 2015. "Italian-English Bilingualism in Australia: the Interplay of Language and Cultural Identification" in Khachaturyan, Elizaveta (ed.) Language – Nation – Identity. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing: 120-143.
- Santello, M. 2014. "Exploring the Bilingualism of a Migrant Community through Language Dominance". Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 37: 24-42.
- Santello, M. 2011. "L’italiano in pubblicità e la sua percezione tra i bilingui. Stereotipizzazione e commutazione in situazione di contatto linguistico in Australia". Studi di Grammatica Italiana (Accademia della Crusca) 29-30: 503-522.
- Santello, M. 2018. Review of "Sustaining the Nation: The Making and Moving of Language and Nation", by Heller, M., Bell, L.A., Daveluy, M., McLaughlin, M., and Noël, H., Language and Intercultural Communication 18: 587-589.
- Santello, M. 2015. Review of "The Friulian Language", by Mucignat, R. (eds.), Modern Italy, 2: 218-220.
- Santello, M. 2015. Review of "Migrants in Translation: Caring and the Logics of Difference in Contemporary Italy", by Giordano, C., H-Net in the Humantities & Social Sciences. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.php?id=43400
- Santello, M. 2014. Review of "L’Italia e i mass media", by Gargiulo, M. (eds.), Journal of Italian Cinema & Media Studies, 2: 301-303.
- Santello, M. 2011. Review of "Language maintenance strategies and language attitudes of new migrants from Italy", by Rubino, A. in Studies in applied linguistics and language learning, ed. by A. Mahboob & C. Lipovsky, 203-23, RID: Rivista Italiana di Dialettologia, 35: 530-531.
- Santello, M. 2011. Review of "Cultural and Linguistic Policy Abroad: The Italian Experience", by Totaro-Genevois, P., RID: Rivista Italiana di Dialettologia, 35: 503-505.
- “Multilingualism, mobility and the past: the return of the fragmentary” Paper presented at the 4th International Conference on the Sociolinguistics of Immigration, University of Turin, Italy, 27-28 May, 2021.
- "Looking back at uneven linguistic repertoires in migration settings". Paper presented at the seminar Migration, language and practices: Challenges in the 21st century, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 17-18 June 2019.
- "Diversita' linguistica, canzoni e riappropriazioni transculturali dall''Australia". Paper presented at the AIPI conference, University for foreigners of Siena, Italy, 5-8 September, 2018.
- "Italian migrants and the crossing of linguistic boundaries". Paper presented at INPRA8, University of Cyprus, 8-10 June, 2018.
- "Discussant" at the Symposium "Language as a Spatial Resource" (organised by S. Canagarajah) at the 18th World Congress of Applied Linguistics, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 23-28 July, 2017.
- "Language Layering and Popular Children's Songs: the Rearrangement of Italian Multilingualism in Australia". Paper presented at ICMME17, Braga, Portugal, 11-13 May, 2017.
- "Modern Languages, Intercultural Competence and Opportunities for Business Education". Paper Presented at the Transnational Modern Languages Conference, ICC, London, 2-3 December, 2016.
- "Sociolinguistics and Multilingualism: Insights from Italian speakers in and out of Italy". Paper presented at the SIS Biennial Conference, University of Oxford, 28-30 September, 2015.
- “The Transnationalizing Modern Languages Project in Australia: Mobilising Linguistic and Semiotic Resources”. Paper presented at the Moving People, Changing Culture Conference, Cardiff University, 13-14 November, 2014.
- “Dimensions of Language Attitudes among Italian English Bilinguals”. Paper presented at the British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL) Conference, University of Warwick, 4-6 September, 2014.
- “Beyond Trilingual Italo-Australians: How Bilinguals Relate to their Dual Linguistic Repertoire”. Paper presented at the conference Re-imagining Italian Studies, ACIS 7th Biennial Conference, Flinders University – University of South Australia, Adelaide, 4-6 December, 2013.
- “Attitudinal Correlates to Discourse Analysis in Advertising: Multilingual Audiences and Multilingual Practices in Persuasive Communication”. Paper presented at the 4th Biennial? New Zealand Discourse Conference, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2-4 December, 2013.
- "Complementing perspectives in Linguistic Research on Advertising". Chair Talk for the Colloquium "Multilingualism in Advertising and Advertising to Multilinguals" at the International Symposium on Bilingualism 9, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 10-13 June, 2013.
- "Mismatched Language Effect in Advertising to Italian English Bilinguals". Paper presented at the conference International Symposium on Bilingualism 9, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 10-13 June, 2013.
- "Advertisers' Language Choice and Bilinguals' Response to Advertising". Paper presented at the conference Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice ALAPP, University of Technology Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December, 2012.
- "Bilingual Idiosyncratic Dimensions of Language Attitudes". Paper presented at the conference Sociolinguistics Symposium 19, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, 21-24 August, 2012.
- "Direct approach to the study of language attitudes: the semantic differential as a tool to identify latent dimensions." Paper presented at the conference Interfaces in Linguistic Research, University of Manchester, 03-04 November, 2011.
- "Attitudes towards the use of Italian in advertising directed at Italian-English bilinguals." Paper presented at the conference L'Italia e i mass media, University of Bergen, Norway, 17-19 November, 2011.
- "Multiple Linguistics Resources, Movement and Space among Italians in Australia", Centro Internazionale sul Plurilinguismo, University of Udine, Italy, 10 April 2019.
- "Experience of movement, cultural presence and language: on the heuristic merits of spaces of speech", Centre for Research on Bilingualism, Stockholm University, Sweden, 19 September, 2017.
- "Linguistic Perspectives on Doing Fieldwork across Cultures: Language Bias and Monolingual Normativity at Work", Qualitative Research Symposium, British Academy of Management Conference, University of Newcastle, 6 September, 2016.
- "Mobilising Hidden Community Languages in Tasmania", Minor Translingualism Series, Institute of Modern Language Research (School of Advanced Studies), London, 27 November, 2015.
- (with Omoniyi, T. et al.) “Illusions and Delusions of the Centre within the Framework of Globalization”, Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (de)standardization, The University of Hong Kong, 6 June, 2015.
- (with Burdett, C., Polezzi, L. & Wells, N.) “Transnationalizing Modern Languages: Mobility, Identity and Translation in Modern Italian Cultures”, Translating Cultures: A Symposium, University of London, 29 March, 2014.
- "Choosing languages to persuade Italians in Australia? Bilingualism and response to advertising". Italian Studies Research Seminars, The University of Sydney, Australia, 24 May, 2013.
- "Language attitudes amongst Italian English bilinguals". SLC Research Seminars, The University of Sydney, Australia, 25 October, 2012.
- "Trilinguismo e intermediazione linguistica in Nuovomondo di Emanuele Crialese" Opening Talk at the Italian Language Week - l'italiano nostro e degli altri, Sydney, Australia, 22 October, 2010.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
I am involved in the teaching of intercultural competence, languages in contact and globalisation. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Research groups and institutes