Dr Eunsuk Hur
- Position: Lecturer in Fashion Innovation and Marketing /Research Group Leader Fashion Marketing and Management
- Areas of expertise: Sustainable fashion; consumer behaviour; collaborative consumption; product and service design strategy; fashion management; cultural studies.
- Email: E.S.Hur@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3793
- Website: Eunsuk Hur | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a lecturer and researcher at the School of Design at the University of Leeds. My research interests are interconnected with advancing sustainability, circular economy, co-creation, fashion psychology, cultural studies and collaborative consumption in fashion, textiles and creative business. After completing my Master's in Textile Futures at Central Saint Martins and PhD in Sustainable Fashion at the University of Leeds, I joined the School of Design in 2013 as a member of staff. Before that, I worked in the fashion industry for 8 years in a variety of roles encompassing creative design directions, trend forecasting, fashion branding, marketing, and management.
Research Project Grants & Awards
- 2021–2022: Rebirth Fashion: Community-based collaborative consumption (Principal Investigator), ESRC Impact Acceleration Account Responsive Mode
- 2021–2022: Leveraging social innovation for sustainable fashion consumption: The roles of social media for sustainable local communities (Principal Investigator), Interdisciplinary Research and Impact Fund for Culture
- 2019: Rebirth Fashion (Principal Investigator), Ignite 9 funded project from the Cultural Institute
- 2014: Development of Communication Skills for Multidisciplinary Research-Transferable Skills Activity (Co-Investigator)
- 2011: The JB Speakman Travel Bursary: School of Design University of Leeds
- 2009–2012: 3-year PhD scholarship: School of Design, University of Leeds
- 2010: Future Form, Sponsored by Jotta Magazine, The Trafalgar Hotel Window display, The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel, London.
- 2009: Selected for CASAMICA’ Talent Scouting: Milan Design Week, September
- 2009: Selected for the CSM Contemporary Collection 2009: Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design, London Art and Design University
- 2005: Konkuk University, Postgraduate School of Design Prize (South Korea)
- 2000: Sunmi Design Contest, Special Selection Award (South Korea)
I am a reviewer for academic journals such as Sustainability (2018–present), Journal of Brand Management (2018–present), Research Journal of Textile and Apparel (2021–present), International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education (2021–present), Designs — Open Access Journal (2020–present), Critical Studies in Men's Fashion (2021–present), the Journal of Sustainable Practice (2020) and Utopian Studies (2017).
I have been acting as an external examiner for the BA Fashion Management programme at De Montfort University since 2019.
- Research Group Leader Fashion Marketing and Management
My research interests cover the following:
- Sustainable Fashion Consumption and Community Practices: My research delves into how community activities and social innovation can foster sustainable lifestyle practices and examine how novel technologies and policies may facilitate sustainable consumption practices for both local and global communities.
- Collaborative Consumption and Circular Economy Practices: Collaborative consumption and circular economy practices are one of the key research interests, particularly focusing on fashion consumer behaviours, consumption processes, and how new products and service systems could potentially leverage innovative fashion business practices for improving sustainability.
- Fashion & Culture: my research covers the rejuvenation of cultural heritages and the promotion of sustainable art and craft practices to support artisans and local designers in textiles and fashion. I am also interested in different types of cultural design products processes, and practices.
- Developing Inclusive Co-Design Practices: My research interest covers how design can serve marginalised groups to support a more sustainable future while assisting local communities, non-profit organisations, and small and medium-sized fashion business activities.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (2016-Present)
- Member of Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (2016-current)
- Member of the Academy of Marketing (2017-Present)
- Member of the Korean Textile Design Association (2006-Present)
- Member of the Korean Society of Fashion Business (KSFS)
My teaching responsibilities cover both undergraduate and postgraduate students’ education, particularly specialising in sustainable fashion, fashion trends and forecasting, fashion business, and fashion consumers. Previously, I was a Module Manager for the ‘Fashion Marketing Major Project - Research’ and ‘Fashion Marketing Major Project - Realisation’ modules for final year students. I am currently, a module manager for the Fashion Trends and Forecasting module. I also supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students on dissertations related to sustainability, design management, cultural studies and fashion marketing.